BRIGHTON AREA/ south downs

Hi KH,
Welcome to the forum, hope you won't be confused by all the advice you are likely to get.

Hi KH, got a fallow buck yesterday morning, no wind no rain or I would probably have been doing something else! First for a few trips though, its been tough going.

Hi KH, got a fallow buck yesterday morning, no wind no rain or I would probably have been doing something else! First for a few trips though, its been tough going.

Oh good stuff! You might be able to help with a bit of advice, only got my .243 last week and wanted to know, is 100 yards the most common for zeroing in the rifle?

Absolutely it is. You will then be able to refer to you ballistics data for your cartridges (on the packet) and vary your shooting accordingly depending upon the distance. Some zero an inch high at 100, which means at 50m it's spot on, at 150 it's spot on, and in between it's a little high.

I prefer to zero at 100 and know that anything a bit closer or a bit further away will need a shot up to an inch high (for a 243). That gives a really good spread. Also if you shot placement is good and you are making chest shots, an inch high or low will not be a problem in the real world.

so after all that tosh, yes, zero at 100 but just be mindful of the ballistics data when you get towards 150m plus or very close. And great calibre choice (not saying its the best before we start a fight, but it's been a great calibre for me).

A sensible concise reply from essexsussex, so no more to be said really best to get out to the range or on to land to see how you and you gun shoot, lots of ammo types and weights, so i found testing a selection helped me find best results through my rifles, however lots of info on here for all weights and makes through lots of rifle combinations, try a search (top right) it could be a while before you read them all but worth while. i also have a handy app for my phone (bulletdrop) its free.....which i use as a guide its very easy to get to grips with, i do not rely on it only target practice and range time will give you actual factual info but it could help get u on the paper without wasting to much time.good luck atb

Agree with Rick, try say 3 good quality mfrs rounds. I can let you have FOC 3 Feds and 3 RWS in 100 gr if you want to try those in your gun and see how they group. You'll have to collect though, but it'll save you buying full boxes and then not using all of them when you find the right round. If they seem promising, go and buy a box and experiment further.

Absolutely it is. You will then be able to refer to you ballistics data for your cartridges (on the packet) and vary your shooting accordingly depending upon the distance. Some zero an inch high at 100, which means at 50m it's spot on, at 150 it's spot on, and in between it's a little high.

I prefer to zero at 100 and know that anything a bit closer or a bit further away will need a shot up to an inch high (for a 243). That gives a really good spread. Also if you shot placement is good and you are making chest shots, an inch high or low will not be a problem in the real world.

so after all that tosh, yes, zero at 100 but just be mindful of the ballistics data when you get towards 150m plus or very close. And great calibre choice (not saying its the best before we start a fight, but it's been a great calibre for me).

A sensible concise reply from essexsussex, so no more to be said really best to get out to the range or on to land to see how you and you gun shoot, lots of ammo types and weights, so i found testing a selection helped me find best results through my rifles, however lots of info on here for all weights and makes through lots of rifle combinations, try a search (top right) it could be a while before you read them all but worth while. i also have a handy app for my phone (bulletdrop) its free.....which i use as a guide its very easy to get to grips with, i do not rely on it only target practice and range time will give you actual factual info but it could help get u on the paper without wasting to much time.good luck atb

Agree with Rick, try say 3 good quality mfrs rounds. I can let you have FOC 3 Feds and 3 RWS in 100 gr if you want to try those in your gun and see how they group. You'll have to collect though, but it'll save you buying full boxes and then not using all of them when you find the right round. If they seem promising, go and buy a box and experiment further.

Thanks for that offer mate, really kind of you! Where abouts are you, I'm Brighton! You Essex by the name? Lol

Thanks for the info really helpful and will certainly take all that on board! Cheers fella

Yup i'll be about subject to wife not going into labour! Will pm you my number just call a couple of hours ahead

Will

Back