A day out.

When the call came it couldnt have been better timed.
The chief kitchen mechanic is laid up at the moment after a bit of an op and we've been driving each other crazy being together far too much!
Dave had asked me to meet him at 6 so I set off at 4.30 and arrived with 10minutes to spare, dont you just love the motorway network at 'should be in bed oclock'.
We transferred my rifle and shotgun to his vehicle and set off for the short drive to his ground.
Dave explained very clearly what the plan of action was and were the safe areas to shoot where and what was 'on the menu'.
After dropping me off at the field entrance I made my way with Bonnie to heel(ish) to a very stable high seat overlooking a very likely looking valley.
There was a definite smell of 'old man' about this seat :)
As usual it was a joy to just sit and watch the world wake up. Jays, crows, squirrels and all the other countryside inhabitants greeting the morning.
I kept glassing the wood edges for any sign but the deer had other ideas this morning so after a couple of hours of sunup Dave came striding across to me and we made our way back to the car.
The day was far from over. Dave had suggested I bring the shotgun and we'd have a walk around just walking up some spinneys and a few ponds on the ground.
The ground was very heavy going being clay and sodden from all the recent rain.
The dog didnt flush anything from the spinneys but each pond we approached contained good numbers of duck and teal the vast majority of which flew on without so much as a ruffled feather as I was particularly useless with the shotgun.
I did account for a mallard and a couple of teal and had an absolutely fantastic day.
Thank you very much Dave, a gentleman and thoroughly good host.

limulus, pleased you had a good day out with Dave, he's one of the best!

Sorry to have scared the does a bit but just couldn't help myself.

A superb seat that one, shame the ground still as wet, if you had been lucky I hope Dave has doctored the quad?

We sure tested it out, not man enough for the mud, Dave, 2 fallow and me, poor old thing I walked out.........not complaining though! :old:

Great reading! Thank you. But I have a question, I am unfamiliar with what a spinney is? ha, we do not use this where I am from!

Great reading! Thank you. But I have a question, I am unfamiliar with what a spinney is? ha, we do not use this where I am from!

a spinney is a very small wood/collection of tree sometimes with a pond in the middle of it

Back