The perfect hobby

howa243

How lucky are we that we have discovered the perfect male hobby. My mum used to say to me ‘once a man, twice a child’ and as boys need toys, stalking is a perfect hobby.

Looking at some of the recent topics there appears to be no end to our desire to accumulate stuff.

If we all put our knives, optics, sticks, guns, reloading equipment, clothing, etc that we bought but don’t use into shop, we could out stock cabelas.

Excellent.

I know where you are coming from. I am a bowler. I have five sets of bowl. Was going to put some on fleabay but will wait till nearer the start of the season. I use two sets depending on comp. The other three are rejects. at £120+ per set it is a lot of money. Stalking wise I had a clean out but still need more so pennies saved are ringfenced, Jim :lol:

Love it.

The only thing that will hurt as much as a taste for German optics is developing a habit for Sage fly rods and reels. One or two will never do. If you had said to me 20 yaers ago I would buy a flyrod at £600 I would have thought you were certifiable.

Scopes £1800? Mad.

I blame the internet. I was happy with an old Miroku shotgun and a Brno rifle before I found places like this.

Due to my work i have about 5 month off a year.

To much time to play & spend money on toys stalking, fly fishing & i am a landrover nut & do some offroad driving when i get some spare time.

& i have a very understanding wife she gets her holidays i get my toys.

Ante life just wonderfull.
John

I want a job like Macky's 5 months off I reckon I could go for that :lol:

Just got my new toys for Chrimbo a take down fly rod, new reel and line to take to Taupo next year 8)

:D My missus must think I am the anti-christ, guns,rods, optics,reloading,stalking,vermin shoots,Lamping three nights a week, target shooting,rco/club coaching, & terminal landroveritis to boot :D

My wife just shakes her head and says "stuff" - how much "stuff" do you need.

It all adds up, shotguns, rifles, scope's, clothes for shooting and stalking and fishing, 5 different sorts of boots. Fly rods and reels, nets. Oh yeah, a boat.

Reloading gear. A rifle range. Oh a garage to put all the stuff in.

A 4x4 that does 28mpg all year round for the 2000 miles you actually use it for shooting or fishing.

Trips to fish in Galway, Donegal.

Stalking in Ireland, trip away for Boar, stlaking in England and Scotland.

Any wonder I am permanently skint.

Awesome thread.

It's unbelievable how fast you can accumulate stuff.

I've got a whole wardrobe full of my american kit, pads, helmet, motorcycle leathers and helmet, boots etc, and a rapidly increasing collection of shooting clothing, knives and equipment!

The girlfriend thought I was growing up with the sale of the motorbike, only to buy a stupid car (the garage is also now full of spare exhausts etc).

"You've only got one gun, why is the safe so big?"
"Because I want 9" :D

I'm convinced they will never find a cure for this condition......

Yes all things shooting stalking etc are very good reason to buy lots of toys.

Got sidetracked into watching some of the Holts Auction on the the webcam yesterday afternoon and fascinating watching a number of bidders trying to outbid each other for toys - particularly as on - Lot No 1699 - a very nice Purdey Over and Under with two sets of barrels got knocked down for £90,000 - Add in the buyers commission plus VAT we are talking £112,500 for, as the auctioneer described, a very nice Christmas present.

If only!!!!!!

Yup very nice pressy eh Patrick

Fran managed to get her nose in the cabinet the other day,
bl**dy hell !! how many guns do you need, that's where all our money goes :rolleyes:
She doesn't know a S&B 8x56 is on the New Year Pressy list yet
should be interesting :p

yes it could easily have deteriorated along those liness with a man of lesser experience, I meerely pointed out that these were in fact great investments for the future and I actually was needing another rifle so she can use it to stalk herself :lol:

Job Done ;)

Good thread guy's

Several years ago i treated myself to a pair of swaro El's, returning to the truck after a walk with wife and dogs i was having difficulty getting the eye caps on, i complained that after paying £50 for them you would think they would fit. Wife looked at me and said HOW MUCH???? £50 for a pair of binoculars you must need your head looking :lol: :lol: if only she knew.

Another occasion saw the kitchen door keep opening whilst i was on the phone to the insuranse compay regarding the value of my guns,when i returned wife was standing open mouthed(quite normal :lol: )shaking her head :lol:

Nell

Back