Rebarrel cost

gixer1

Having never had it done myself or had any friends that have needed to do it - I was wondering what the average total cost (all in) was for rebarrelling an off the shelf rifle, lets say for example t a Tikka T3 30/06 and a Sauer 202 in 243?

Obviously the 202 is a switch barrel rifle but do Gunsmiths offer a pattern barrel for them?

I am just talking a standard sporter barrel, nothing fancy just comparible to the original.

The final thing is would anyone know what the cost would be if done in the USA as apposed to here in the UK?

Regards,

Gixer

Switch barrels for Sauer etc, would need to be made under licence.

Ive just done another 30-06 which was £550 all in, chambered, threaded, fitted and proofed.

Why would you want to send a rifle to the US?

Ive just done another 30-06 which was £550 all in, chambered, threaded, fitted and proofed.

Hi Jager,

I wouldn't be sending the rifles over, I would be doing it while over there with the rifles.

The £550 on the Tikka, that kinda surprises me as another £280 gets you a complete new rifle!

the reason i ask is my rifles here are used for stalking and foxing, the barrels would most likely last forever in this role as long as they are looked after, I will be moving to the states within the next year and there is a rather good rifle range/club in the town I will be in, obviously this opens up a lot of possibilities for paper punching so I intend to take full advantage of this! I would assume with a high volume of rounds through them there is the chance I could burn a couple of barrels so just wondered what the cost would be.

Sauer rifles aren't that common in the states and in fact I never saw a single one in three different states in all the gun shops I was in so I wonder if I would be better just storing the Sauer but would hate to do this as I'd love a shot at long range targets with it as its such an accurate rifle in its use here.

Has anyone bought a Sauer barrel in 243 and if so what was the damage?

Regards,

Gixer

Hi Jager,

I wouldn't be sending the rifles over, I would be doing it while over there with the rifles.

The £550 on the Tikka, that kinda surprises me as another £280 gets you a complete new rifle!

the reason i ask is my rifles here are used for stalking and foxing, the barrels would most likely last forever in this role as long as they are looked after, I will be moving to the states within the next year and there is a rather good rifle range/club in the town I will be in, obviously this opens up a lot of possibilities for paper punching so I intend to take full advantage of this! I would assume with a high volume of rounds through them there is the chance I could burn a couple of barrels so just wondered what the cost would be.

Sauer rifles aren't that common in the states and in fact I never saw a single one in three different states in all the gun shops I was in so I wonder if I would be better just storing the Sauer but would hate to do this as I'd love a shot at long range targets with it as its such an accurate rifle in its use here.

Has anyone bought a Sauer barrel in 243 and if so what was the damage?

Regards,

Gixer

How much was you thinking a new custom barrel would cost?
Yes you could probably get another rifle for a bit more money but it will be another factory rifle. If you're not coming back ditch the Sauer, you're going to a place where Firearms is almost a way of life.

"Switch barrels for Sauer etc, would need to be made under licence."
Why ? so long as the maker did not try to pass it off as an original part I cant see any legal issues?

"Switch barrels for Sauer etc, would need to be made under licence."
Why ? so long as the maker did not try to pass it off as an original part I cant see any legal issues?

It would be identical to the original part whether the maker palmed it off as his or the original. Can just imagine Sauer, Mauser, Blaser etc sitting back thinking it's ok for someone to copy their barrels and flogging them cheaper! And what about copyright?

It would be identical to the original part whether the maker palmed it off as his or the original. Can just imagine Sauer, Mauser, Blaser etc sitting back thinking it's ok for someone to copy their barrels and flogging them cheaper! And what about copyright?

It happens legally with millions of car parts every day , cant see as the law would be different on gun parts.

It happens legally with millions of car parts every day , cant see as the law would be different on gun parts.

I think switch rifle barrels would be slightly different, they're not exactly sold to the masses like Ford.

Having never had it done myself or had any friends that have needed to do it - I was wondering what the average total cost (all in) was for rebarrelling an off the shelf rifle, lets say for example t a Tikka T3 30/06 and a Sauer 202 in 243?

Obviously the 202 is a switch barrel rifle but do Gunsmiths offer a pattern barrel for them?

I am just talking a standard sporter barrel, nothing fancy just comparible to the original.

The final thing is would anyone know what the cost would be if done in the USA as apposed to here in the UK?

Regards,

Gixer

I seem to remember Border Barrels advertised a Sauer 202 rebarrel solution, if I remember correctly it was a bushing that matched the 202 tenon with an internal thread for a barrel to be mated to? Wasn't that keen on the idea myself.

As Jager says firearms are a way of life over there, no proof laws either when it comes to rebarreling, you can pretty much rock up to a gunsmith and have the work done while you wait - assuming you book in etc.

I seem to remember Border Barrels advertised a Sauer 202 rebarrel solution, if I remember correctly it was a bushing that matched the 202 tenon with an internal thread for a barrel to be mated to? Wasn't that keen on the idea myself.

As Jager says firearms are a way of life over there, no proof laws either when it comes to rebarreling, you can pretty much rock up to a gunsmith and have the work done while you wait - assuming you book in etc.

I think you're right actually, I seem to recall hearing of such an adapter/fitting from Border a while back.

If only one could rock up and have work done without any beurocratic bullsiht, wouldn't that be peachy.

How much was you thinking a new custom barrel would cost?
Yes you could probably get another rifle for a bit more money but it will be another factory rifle. If you're not coming back ditch the Sauer, you're going to a place where Firearms is almost a way of life.

You say "custom barrel" like it's going to do anything better than the original! lol.. I just want it to be the same as the original.

I would never ditch the Sauer as to be honest having used a lot of friends rifles over there (kimber, Savage, remmy's) not one was as nice to use as the Sauer, but because they are not "american made" they aren't that popular....

And I will be coming back, I guess its not really that cost effective, but it will be interesting to settle the argument to myself on the "barrel shot out thing!

So there is a Sauer style pattern part, I kind of agree with e the analagy about car parts, you can buy pattern and they are under just as much stress as a rifle part! and if they go wrong you stand a good chance of killing 5 people not just 1!

Regards,

gixer

You say "custom barrel" like it's going to do anything better than the original! lol.. I just want it to be the same as the original.

I would never ditch the Sauer as to be honest having used a lot of friends rifles over there (kimber, Savage, remmy's) not one was as nice to use as the Sauer, but because they are not "american made" they aren't that popular....

And I will be coming back, I guess its not really that cost effective, but it will be interesting to settle the argument to myself on the "barrel shot out thing!

So there is a Sauer style pattern part, I kind of agree with e the analagy about car parts, you can buy pattern and they are under just as much stress as a rifle part! and if they go wrong you stand a good chance of killing 5 people not just 1!

Regards,

gixer

No worries, perhaps have a read about custom fitted barrels over factory fitted or better still go and have a look at some factory barrels that get removed from actions. You'll get the gest of what I've said I think. :D

If you want it the same as the original just add the £280 odd to the total of a new barrel (my price is good value) scrap your current Tikka and buy a new one in the US... Simples. I'll have your old Tikka as scrap whilst you're at it...No export paperwork job done. :)

No worries, perhaps have a read about custom fitted barrels over factory fitted or better still go and have a look at some factory barrels that get removed from actions. You'll get the gest of what I've said I think. :D

If you want it the same as the original just add the £280 odd to the total of a new barrel (my price is good value) scrap your current Tikka and buy a new one in the US... Simples. I'll have your old Tikka as scrap whilst you're at it...No export paperwork job done. :)

Sorry, i maybe didn't explain that well, no offence was meant and from what I read your prices are good with good reviews - I just don't see the massive difference between the standard and custom - you always hear people praise the Sauer as having one of the best barrels made (and the Tikka's seem to be praised too)

Hopefully as the Tikka is 30-06 and I dont generally use hot/fast loads It will last but I guess the difference would be 100 rounds put through it at one sitting as apposed to probably about 10 a month with the odd zeroing session where it might get 20 put through it.

out of interest - What are the issues you see whan removing the factory barrels?

regards,
Gixer

When I can get around to it I intend to have a new barrel fitted to my S90 and only hope its possible to install a non Sauer barrel such as that offered by Krieger. That is if I can find a gunsmith down South who can take a contoured blank (no threads/chamber/crown) and work what ever magic is required.

Cheers

K

When I can get around to it I intend to have a new barrel fitted to my S90 and only hope its possible to install a non Sauer barrel such as that offered by Krieger. That is if I can find a gunsmith down South who can take a contoured blank (no threads/chamber/crown) and work what ever magic is required.

Cheers

K

Is the reason for not wanting the Sauer offering cost? or some other reason?

Regards,
gixer

Sorry, i maybe didn't explain that well, no offence was meant and from what I read your prices are good with good reviews - I just don't see the massive difference between the standard and custom - you always hear people praise the Sauer as having one of the best barrels made (and the Tikka's seem to be praised too)

Hopefully as the Tikka is 30-06 and I dont generally use hot/fast loads It will last but I guess the difference would be 100 rounds put through it at one sitting as apposed to probably about 10 a month with the odd zeroing session where it might get 20 put through it.

out of interest - What are the issues you see whan removing the factory barrels?

regards,
Gixer

No offence taken.

When removing some factory barrels it's hard to imagine how they even printed 1 MOA @ 100! I did one recently and the threads of the barrels were looser than a whores draws, to make up for it they had used loctite...

If you are going to get any rebarreling work done, wait till you are in the states as it will be a lot cheaper regardless of caliber etc

Steve.

Doubt it will be any cheaper once you factor in export/import and shipping costs.

Second that, and what about keeping our own industry going? Never mind spending money in the US when you can get excellent work done in the UK, there are some very good capable guys over here, I would rather see an English lathe spinning (even better if its mine!) than anything foreign!

Back