Greetings!

Bilge Rat

Hello everyone, I'm looking at getting into shooting again, I served 10 years in the Army (got out in 1992) and during the last four years I was the Regiment's shooting team coach, narrowly missing out on getting into the 'Army 100'. This involved competitions using the SLR L1A1, SMG, LMG and 9mm pistol. I have wanted to obtain my FAC/SGC ever since leaving but put it off due to the paperwork involved and the fact that I didn't really know anyone who was 'like-minded'.

Last year I met someone (a member on here I believe) who is big into stalking and other disciplines, who has agreed to mentor me and so now my enthusiasm has been awoken again! So, I'm currently filling in my application, getting my referee's together and already have permissions for three farms within walking distance of my house in North Wiltshire and one down in Devon. :)

I'm booked on to a DSC1 course next month and plan to join my local Clay Shooting club (and possibly a rifle target club too). I recently went on a wild boar shoot in the South West but unfortunately it was rained off quite early (no surprise there!) and nothing was seen. I used an estate rifle then but am looking forward to getting my own. I'm still debating the calibers to ask for; 12G shotgun is a no-brainer but the rest I find quite confusing (it was easy in the Army - 7.62 or 9mm, depending on which one fitted!). Ideally I'd have .17 HMR, .22 LR and then something larger for Deer/Boar with something in between like .243 - I realise that this is probably a big ask for a FAC grant, so will be trying to whittle the list down a bit. The estate rifle was a 30-06 which I fired some check-zero shots with and found to be accurate and comfortable, so may go for that and the .17 HMR.

I'm sure that a lot of you will see me around, asking dumb newbie questions but, better to ask I always think. See you around then...

Nick​

No such thing as dumb do some homework first to avoid the keyboard warriors giving you a hard time and explore a few calibres before making rash decisions on rifle choice .youve probably put more rounds down than half the SD put together anyways .and deerstalkers love 7.62 :lol:
Norma 308

Thanks for the welcome!

No such thing as dumb do some homework first to avoid the keyboard warriors giving you a hard time and explore a few calibres before making rash decisions on rifle choice .youve probably put more rounds down than half the SD put together anyways .and deerstalkers love 7.62 :lol:
Norma 308

Oh, I will certainly be doing lots of homework, although not for the keyboard warrior's sake. I've been around t'internet long enough to have developed a thick hide requiring armour piercing rounds :lol:. Are there any sites/books you could recommend to help me make a calibre choice? Ideally I'd like to go and try them all first-hand but hardly practical...

As for 'rounds down the range' I can't come up with an accurate figure - however, doing a quick totting up it is well in excess of 100,000 :eek:

Nick.

Back