QuickLOAD v3.8

65morris06

Does anyone have experience with the ? new QuickLOAD v3.8? I am wondering whether to buy; at £125 it doesn't seem wildly expensive. Any advice please.

We use Quickload in the workshop on a daily basis for establishing load parameters when working with components or powders not found in the normal loading manuals. It is a very good tool for that purpose. But I will emphasise that as with any program. .... Junk in ... Junk out. You have to ensure that all criteria is observed and a safe margin of pressure is allowed for with all loads. Do not be tempted to load everything to the maximum!!!. As with all load data work loads up incrementally to establish what is safe in your particular firearm. Quickload is a ballistic model only.. and all data should be backed up with a chronograph to verify data .
Yours respectfully Mike Norris Brock and Norris Custom Rifles

We use Quickload in the workshop on a daily basis for establishing load parameters when working with components or powders not found in the normal loading manuals. It is a very good tool for that purpose. But I will emphasise that as with any program. .... Junk in ... Junk out. You have to ensure that all criteria is observed and a safe margin of pressure is allowed for with all loads. Do not be tempted to load everything to the maximum!!!. As with all load data work loads up incrementally to establish what is safe in your particular firearm. Quickload is a ballistic model only.. and all data should be backed up with a chronograph to verify data .
Yours respectfully Mike Norris Brock and Norris Custom Rifles

as above when cross checked with a chrono its actually very accurate and more useful than you might think

Does anyone have experience with the ? new QuickLOAD v3.8? I am wondering whether to buy; at £125 it doesn't seem wildly expensive. Any advice please.

I am on v3.6, cracking program takes a bit of getting around, and as Mr Norris says junk in junk out. Measure, measure, measure - whether that is dimensions or weights get everything bang on and you will get very good THEORETICAL data, this does usually translate fairly accurately for velocities. Get to grips with the tabs across the top, click on one of them and you get a small table to put a pressure limit, fill capacity maximum etc - this then spits out a table of results where the default in descending order based on velocity, it will indicate % burn, barrel time, muzzle pressure and a few other readings.

Utopia - 100% burn, fastest barrel time, lowest muzzle pressure
This is what I look for within reason,
100% burn should mean a cleaner barrel, muzzle and moderator - as well as being cooler.
Fastest barrel time is an important component in the overall 'locktime' of the weapon - very important for consistent accuracy.
Lowest muzzle pressure, that horrible nasty bang and shock wave you get when the barrel gases are released as the bullet pops out the end of the barrel - there is a huge difference across a number of loads in one calibre - even more so calibre to calibre.

If you get really giddy with it all you can even project what barrel length would yield your required velocity in a standard calibre or your next custom project.

Personally it has saved ne a fortune in components and time, it has also opened up substitutes when standard consumables are not available.

A reply that I thought that I had posted has not appeared. To re-iterate, I am very greatful for all the comments posted. I have always been an avid measurer, so the advice fits my philosophy. I load for four rifle, 6.5-06, 308TR, 308MR and .223 Rem. I think that I'll give QuickLOAD a go.

Back