Thread: Hornays die Question?

Hornays die Question?

I have a new set of Hornady dies. Cases are lubed inside with brush and rolled on the case lube pad.
    After resizing and de capping on the downwards stroke, that feels normal. I am having trouble passing
    the button and de capping pin on the upwards stroke. It either gets stuck or feels really notchy. ?????

Your thoughts appreciated

What sort of lube are you using inside the case necks, is it a dry lube?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I have tried Imperial sizing wax, and one shot.

Imperial sizing wax should be good but personally I only use that on the outside of the case and use a dry lube on the neck. I take it that the inside of the neck is clean and not dirty?
    I have never used Hornady dies so wouldn't know about them and can't really help, but I have read of some people having to polish the expander button on some sets of dies.

I have read about polishing the button too, But with what? What make of dry lube do you use and can it be used on the outside as well?

Powdered graphite is used on the inside of the neck only, most good hardware shops stock it. Not suitable for using on the outside of cases.
    I believe it is valve grinding paste that is normally used to polish expander buttons and these are rotated in an electric drill.

Of course there is one train of thought that actually recommends doing away with the expander button. You can also buy tungsten carbide replacement expander buttons that don't require the use of lubrication.

The expander balls on Hornady New Dimension Dies have been a real sore spot for me. My 9.3x57 had the ball drilled so far off axis that when I resized the cases they came out with necks visibly 'bent' to the extent that loaded rounds wouldn't chamber. My 243 dies had a step on the upper edge that sheared off brass from the neck. I'd suggest taking your die apart and see if you have a bad ball.~Muir

we are only in Whitchurch John, if you bring the dies over to me we will take a look at them for you. Mike Norris Brock and Norris Custom Rifles