Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle for UK and further afield

Rifle for UK and further afield

I'm relatively new to stalking and am seeking some advice on a which calibre to look for. Now before I get shouted at, I have looked at the other posts and I am in a seemingly relatively unique position as I will shortly be moving out to South Africa for a 2 / 3 year period so I need something that will also be suitable for plains game.

Initially I was looking at a .270 or .308 (the latter being easier for me as I already shoot a lot of TR and have all the reloading kit etc) and dabbling with the idea of a 7mm08. However, having read the plains game posts on here and elsewhere it seems the recommendation is for 30-06 but this seems a little too much, certainly for the smaller species in the UK.

Any suggestions? If at all possible I only want one rifle as Mrs E isn't hugely keen on filling up the cabinet (especially as she's got two rifles in there already!).

Many thanks

in your position , 308 all the way. you are already familiar with it !
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Nothing wrong with the .270 for your needs, 30-06 would probably suit better... 338 win mag would be quite nice too...Not too heavy for Muntys.

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    in your position , 308 all the way. you are already familiar with it !
    Yip I would say the same.

You should read some of the South African shooting sites (yes they have them as well!), they will give you a better insight to hunting plains game than most of us can give. We are after all quite a long way away!

What I can say is speaking to my South African and Zimbabwean hunting friends you will find not everyone uses a something magnum! Seems for plains game 270, 308 and 30-06 are used fairly widely and the 7's are very popular, 7x57, 7x64 and the 7mm-08 is growing in popularity as people see it as basically a 7x57.

Lots of other of course but I would have thought that's enough to choose from!

you are never alone with a .308 ammo in every shop around the world

From my experience of Botswana and South Africa, 30.06 is probably the best choice for you, if you are not looking at something bigger.

I agree with Jager that a 338 WM is a really flexible calibre that can do most things with authority .... Mike Norris made me up some 250grn barnes solids and I always kept a few on me whilst hunting in areas where elephant present .....!

Unless you have very real expectations of going after buffalo and beyond, .308 is more than enough, though .270 or 7x64 would give you a touch more reach on flat ground with limited cover.

Your biggest problem is going to be permits... good luck!

In my opinion a 308 is certainly not "more than enough" for tough African plains game - will get the job done but not really potent enough for the bigger game .... eland zebra etc

300 win mag (or 338 as mentioned earlier) would be better. I do think 30.06 is used successfully and with heavy for calibre bullets more appropriate..... but just my personal view, not suggesting you are wrong.

Zebra and eland are thin skinned - much the same as Northern hemisphere cervids. I have seen them culled with .243 and .270 with minimal fuss. I have actually seen them taken with .222, though that was head shots under a lamp.

I think very few plains game species really need anything more than a .308 unless you're somewhere where distance is a serious issue. Buffalo, hippo and maybe giraffe being the exceptions.