All Terrain Tyres (Freelander 2)

baguio

My road tyres are on their last legs. I drive 90% road and 10% soft off road whilst stalking and picking up. With all this wet weather and my next stalking beat clearly going to involve farmed fields and muddy farmers tracks I need a set of All Terrains.
Please advise on what you guys and girls are using and would recommend before I order a set that I later regret.
I got stuck last week so another set of road tyres are not an option!
Many thanks

Baguio

just moved to copper at3 and for under £100 per tyre plus fitting i paid £440 very good they feel like they stick to the road better than my old Geolanders M/S i used to have have a look at 4x4 Tyres

I had General grabber AT2's on my FL2 - they coped well with mud and snow and road handling was just as good as the previous tyres.

got mine from here - Home as they seemed to be the cheapest.

Sh** too late telling me now Jon, just put some on mine but could of used your discount :D

I'm also on the hunt for a set for my Jimny.
General Grabber AT are good, they replaced the AT2.
I had a set on my Nissan and they performed very well.

BF Goodrich also get a great name, and apparently last for ever, although a
touch more expensive... I think I will be plumbing for the BF this time around.
If for no other reason other than just to try them.

Always had Goodrich AT but they don't do the size I need on a new Hi Lux so I've moved over to General Grabber AT's.No noisier than road tyres,same consumption and handles pretty well in the muddy lanes so pretty impressed so far

Many thanks to you all for your help. I will be putting on some General Grabbers in the next few days as they appear to have done all you guys well.
Many thanks again.
Baguio

I know two people who swapped to the GG AT's, and will never buy them again, because of the poor off road grip. I know another guy who wrecked 3 GG's in one morning, green laning, and another guy who split the side wall of a Cooper, also green laning.

I'll stick to the BFG's, not got stuck yet, but know I will at some point, regardless of what tires I have, and unlike the GG's, & Coopers, they haven't been destroyed going over a few rocks.

BFG don't do tyres in my size so not an option for me. I don't drive through rocks or go green laning though anyway. A Freelander 2 isn't really up to that due to lack of ground clearance. I just want 90% road tyres that will give me extra grip when going off road during stalking. As I'm going from Road tyres I think that the grip these tyres provide will be a massive improvement. It sounds to me like your mates needed true Off Road Mud tyres for what they were doing and not AT's surely?
Baguio

BFG don't do tyres in my size so not an option for me. I don't drive through rocks or go green laning though anyway. A Freelander 2 isn't really up to that due to lack of ground clearance. I just want 90% road tyres that will give me extra grip when going off road during stalking. As I'm going from Road tyres I think that the grip these tyres provide will be a massive improvement. It sounds to me like your mates needed true Off Road Mud tyres for what they were doing and not AT's surely?
Baguio
I just put four hankook atm's on my fl1, for £300. With these on, my fl1 gets places our 58plate hilux on bfg mt's won't. Try Tyres Online | Cheap Tyres | Winter Tyres Car Servicing UK

Baguio

Baguio,

No, we saw very little mud/soft stuff, but lots of stones/rocks on the two North Wales green laning trips I've done.

You have the same issue I have. 90% + road, but this time of year, the fields/woods, etc' are really soft/muddy, and MT's are really what we need, but they aren't ideal on the road.

I have a set of BFG AT's, and they are very good overall, but I got a set of BFG MT's because it's just so soft at the moment, and even then, I try not to take too many chances, because the farmer gets the right hump if he has to drag you out with the tractor :D

General grabber AT's get my vote, very good tyre for all round use I had the 4th new set of tyres fitted to my Discovery 4 yesterday.

Back