Tipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

philgled

I've just returned from a few days hind stalking with a mate in Scotland. On the contract from the Estate it said that "it is requested that the Licensee tips the Stalker a minimum of £50 per day/per person shooting" We thought this was a bit rich, dictating how much (and even that we should) tip.

I always assumed that tipping (for stalking or otherwise) was discretionary and at a level deemed appropriate by the person doing the tipping.

Anyway, we tipped the guy a total of £260 between us for three days. Bearing in mind this is tax-free and amounts to approx £300 if it were taxable, which I didn't think was a bad punt.

I've just had an email from him wondering why we only tipped him this amount?

I know that there was an amount stated in the contract and that these guys don't earn a fortune anyway, but am I on my own thinking that it's a bit strong to expect to be tipped and also to expect a certain amount?

Before anyone says I'm a tight **** I've nothing in principle against tipping, I always tip our keeper on our pheasant shoot, waiters in restaurants, etc and indeed other stalkers when I've been out with them. It's the principle of being told how much to tip that boils my ****.

Or maybe I've got it wrong? I'm sure you'll tell me!

I know that there was an amount stated in the contract and that these guys don't earn a fortune anyway, but am I on my own thinking that it's a bit strong to expect to be tipped and also to expect a certain amount?

No, you're not.

Tips should be discretionary and based on your enjoyment of the day. With their approach all they've really done is upped their fee by £50 and avoided paying the tax. Why is it only the British who seem to accept this as perfectly 'normal' behaviour.

Personally I'd be looking for stalking somewhere else next year.

willie_gunn

Why not ask the estate to put his wages up?

Over the years I have seen everything from knives to rifles as well of course as money given as tips, but its always been discretionary.

If its in the contract, then you knew how much you had to pay per day for stalking, obviously this is a tax avoidance system and the estate should be reported to the inland revenue, the amount the stalker earns irrelevant.

Bit of an excuse for the employer to under pay the employee. I won't accept tips for doing a job I'm being paid to do on principle.

Minimum of £50 per person for hind stalking tips --- their having a laugh and taking the pi**. You say it is a request on the contract so I would read that as not compulsory, therefore IMO you haven't broken any agreement. Needless to say you require a different estate next year.

We paid £165.00 per day - not each I must add, so not particularly expensive for a day's sport.

That will depend on what you saw, and shot.

Effectively though the cost was £265 per day, given that the "requested" tip of £50 per stalker per day was specified up front.

They could have avoided leaving you with a bad taste in your mouth by simply specifying the stalking fee was £265 per day.:rolleyes:

willie_gunn

Just out of interest, what involvement did the stalker have for your visit? I ask as there were two of you. Was one deposited on the ground and the other guided? Did he gralloch and uplift your deer? Did he make the day more enjoyable, successful or was he dull and not good company? Did you learn anything from him or did he just not engage with you?

I personally think elements of the above are important. As has been said, he is paid for the job, and you are paying for the stalking and the tip should indeed reflect what was offered on the day by the stalker... Perhaps reflected in what he offered over and above simply delivering the bare minimum his job description necessitates...

I would say for what you both paid plus your tips it was still worth the trip you got plenty of shooting by the sounds of things !

Brian, We both went out with him and took turns to shoot. He did gralloch the beasts and used an Argo to take them off the ground. As I said, I've been going there for a while now so we do chat as we're walking round.

I don't think this is anything more than I would expect wherever I went that I was paying to stalk - certainly when I was with you the other year!

It isn't the cost of the stalking that I object to - I would have been quite happy to pay more for it as I know it represents good value - it's the fact that I am expected to tip and also advised the minimum that it should be.

Brian, We both went out with him and took turns to shoot. He did gralloch the beasts and used an Argo to take them off the ground. As I said, I've been going there for a while now so we do chat as we're walking round.

I don't think this is anything more than I would expect wherever I went that I was paying to stalk - certainly when I was with you the other year!

It isn't the cost of the stalking that I object to - I would have been quite happy to pay more for it as I know it represents good value - it's the fact that I am expected to tip and also advised the minimum that it should be.

I agree with you Phil, not sure if it came across like that???? My point was that I was always brought up to believe tipping should reflect perhaps services provided over and above that which is expected by the stalker, gamekeeper or gillie just because of they do anyway. So, you could almost argue that as you have paid to shoot deer, and you were successful, what beyond that would encourage you to tip? As has been said, it's an individual thing between the guest and the stalker, keeper or gillie. Certainly when I'm fishing or shooting, what I tip is between me and my guide...

As you've took turns to shoot, then this would equal one rifle sharing @ a rate of £165 for a day at hinds. That would be about an average price across most estates -- so just because there were two of you carrying a rifle doesn't mean two opportunities could occur at one time, (well in the norm anyway). This tip request @ a min of £50 is still out of order, and should be a gesture of your experience for the day. What was the requested tip rate when you were there on stags ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back