BASC Thetford Stalking Scheme

Did my first stalk using this scheme. Des is a true gent and will teach you huge amounts. Good luck and enjoy!

My first Stalks were with Des, four stalks and two deer. It was money well spent if you want to learn, I was exhausted at the end of each stalk from the concentration and the intensity of the stalking. Des is an encyclopaedia of Forest Stalking and an absolute gent. Don't mention the gearbox on the Ford Ranger though!

"Looks a bit pricey !" Pay the money. I did my level 2 DSC with Des, and, as others have said, he is extremely knowledgible and shares this knowledge.​

Thanks for the replies guys. As a student I have neither the time or financial resources to commit to lots of consecutive stalks. £120 with no trophies seemed quite reasonable to me considering the ad-hoc nature of the scheme! I'm just trying to work up towards the DSC1 at some point and your reassurance regarding the knowledge and friendly attitude of the stalker at Thetford leads me to think that I will get more than just a shot out of the afternoon. It sounds like I will benefit from his knowledge which is in many ways more valuable to me than the actual shot itself.

Good man, good attitude, I stalk adjacent land to the scheme and there is no shortage of deer round there, I've even stalked the very same deer as Des before now on our adjoining boundary, slightly awkward moment when we both clocked each other but his client went on to have a successful kill, just with a couple more witnesses than planned!

Hi mate,

I'm in a similar situation. Just finished Uni, not a hell of a lot of stalking experience but have some. Was wondering if you have been on the stalk with the scheme yet?: If so, how did it go? I'm thinking of booking up an evening.

Cheers,

Byron.

The price isn't bad at all considering there are no trophy fees and although there are no guarantees there are certainly good chances... I take it the heads can be kept after inspection if wanted?

The price isn't bad at all considering there are no trophy fees and although there are no guarantees there are certainly good chances... I take it the heads can be kept after inspection if wanted?

I think so, I can't imagine them stating there are no trophy fees and then not letting you take the head if you wanted to anyway. Would seem unfair to advertise that there are no trophy fees but not let you take a trophy home. I'm booked in for an evening and a morning now in May, so hopefully I'll get a chance, very excited now.

Very few trophy heads from that area due to the introduction of poor German stock.{Reference Rex Witta)

Very true, and very few roe in that area now at all, plenty of fallow and munties, but roe numbers have been dropping year on year for the past 6 years I've stalked adjacent to the basc scheme. Still great stalking though.

I shot a very nice malform roe buck off the scheme last year.
Nice area but I do think that they should make it cheaper then the local going rate as it is a membership benefit...

I shot a very nice malform roe buck off the scheme last year.
Nice area but I do think that they should make it cheaper then the local going rate as it is a membership benefit...

I agree, I'm going on two stalk so that's £225. All very well but I'll still have to pay the going rate for venison. Good chance for me to get some experience and build confidence though, and I'm prepared to pay out as chances have been few and far between for me past few years. Could be cheaper, but it could work out a lot cheaper than other agencies if I happened across a fairly large trophy; not that I'm going for trophies but it could work out a good deal.

Back