One of britains greatest RIP

CWMMAN3738

Yesterday was the anniversary of the death if one of Britaing greatest heros/sons in 1965 and there wasn't even a mention of it, lest we forget!

Yesterday was the anniversary of the death if one of Britaing greatest heros/sons in 1965 and there wasn't even a mention of it, lest we forget!

Winston Leonard spencer Churchill, if memory serves me correct .one of the all time greats .

Im not surprised no one has answered, ask school kids about the first world war or the second WW a huge percentage don't even know it happened ,ask them about the Normans and Saxons, oh yes they can tell you that crap .

It's true. The Normans and the Romans are taught, but modern history, what happened in the last century seems to be sadly missing. An awful lot of them will have had relatives that died in the two world wars, and the significance of what happened resonates today. The big lesson from both world wars is to learn how devastating they were and to not let it happen again. Lost on today's yoof!

Churchill to most kids is a nodding dog that sells insurance.

Last edited:
It's true. The Normans and the Romans are taught, but modern history, what happened in the last century seems to be sadly missing. An awful lot of them will have had relatives that died in the two world wars, and the significance of what happened resonates today. The big lesson from both world wars is to learn how devastating they were and to not let it happen again. Lost on today's yoof!

Churchill to most kids is a nodding dog that sells insurance.

+1 on that, tried explaining to my lad (9) and the thing from modern history has been the titanic. He is getting it but sometimes you feel its quite a battle.

Reminds me of a retort about fifteen years ago from my youngest lad, sadly no longer with us, "Nelson Mandela's not blind Dad!!" ... think about it, think about it!:rofl:

I assume that we are talking about Winston Churchill here but he died on the 24th January 1965. This post was written on the 26th?
Baguio

Last edited:
Oh for a politician of his quality today !! .....Compared to the likes of The traitor Blair , Call me Dave ,Mandy ,Brown ,Clegg etc etc the list is endless ..The quality of most things seems to have fallen , the quality of politicians seems to have fallen of the cliff..RIP Mr Churchill ..

I'm rather surprised that you would say that Justin bearing in mind the area that you come from. Many in the area will remember Churchill for something other than his wartime leader role.

Occasionally we all need reminding of something/someone. I have a huge regard for Churchills place in our history & given the opportunity would declare him worthy of being the greatest person in the history of our British Isles.

Others should not be forgotten either, Sir Hugh Dowding with his 'Chain Home' radar & perception of its importance before the war with his subsequent management of Fighter Command. ATB

Churchill wasn't without fault though & a failure to award a campaign medal to Bomber Command or recognise their achievement and sacrifice was a mistake only recently corrected. ATB

There were many weak of will in 1938. Without Churchills spirit and resolve to stiffen spines the war would probably have been lost at the beginning.

The truth is incontrovertible.
Panic may resent it,
ignorance may deride it,
malice may distort it,
but there it is.
[SIZE=-1]Winston Churchill[/SIZE]

I agree mike but as in many things we should look at the bigger picture not just our own interests & I believe that all things aside this country benefited from his leadership to such an extent as to acknowledge his overall role even if it's on a par with his acknowledgement of Rommel for some.

I'm rather surprised that you would say that Justin bearing in mind the area that you come from. Many in the area will remember Churchill for something other than his wartime leader role.

When I was a lad I remember being taken to the VE day celebrations in London and three things have stuck in my mind, first the enormous crowds, second seeing the tiger skins the drummers wore and third the best of all seeing Churchill waving to the masses. Our country today would be very different without him during the war years he inspired a nation.
I wonder what he would think if he were here today!

When I was a lad I remember being taken to the VE day celebrations in London and three things have stuck in my mind, first the enormous crowds, second seeing the tiger skins the drummers wore and third the best of all seeing Churchill waving to the masses. Our country today would be very different without him during the war years he inspired a nation.
I wonder what he would think if he were here today!

Probably something along the lines of "I wonder if I could still get into Oz or NZ"

Back