hanging (aging?) carcasses?

daven

Hey folks,
getting prepared for warmer weather hunting and keeping an occassional roe or pig. Don't want to put out a bunch for a full size cooler. Anyone skin/quarter their carcasses to hang? I know you should leave skin on, but Skinning/quartering would let me take advantage of pretty much free (smaller) refridgerators and save room also. If you hang them naked, how long is a decent time before they dry out etc?

Thanks, Dave

I've been wondering this meself recently so interested in the answers.

When we did our DSC1 at Thetford Forestry they said that sometimes their carcasses would hang 5-7 days skinned in their chiller before being collected by the game dealer. I would guess the dealer would not process them straight away so would hang a while longer at their place too (no idea how long though) so at a guess at least 10 days won't hurt?!

I have a munty carcass in the fridge at home that was shot and skinned last Sunday and I took the loins and backstraps off yesterday and they are fine. The haunches are back in there as I never got round to doing those too. If anything the meat came off easier and I just used my thumb to run along the backbone and they slid off a treat once the 1st cuts were done. I don't like to waste meat but I always trim off the sinew, etc, anyway and any dry silver 'skin' on the meat is removed so a bit of dryness gets cut away too,

Stratts

"hang 5-7 days skinned in their chiller" That chiller is at about 4 degrees celcius. How long you hang meat is upto you and your taste. I am happy to keep mine in the fridge for a week or so, sometimes two. I am not sure that it influences the final taste or quality of the meat.

Any period of time where the meat is dead and not frozen will affect the taste and consistency
The key is the temperature and humidity
you are aiming for a break down of some fibre but not allow it to decompose completely

plenty of things aged for several weeks
Google the New York steak scene and you will see things that reduce in weight by 1/3-1/2 and then the only eat/cook the centre!!

I don't mind the outer flesh drying personally
have a 2m tall drinks fridge now which works a charm.
most recent roe was in there in its jacket for 6 days, that's about my limit before I want it gone or chopped up

"hang 5-7 days skinned in their chiller" That chiller is at about 4 degrees celcius. How long you hang meat is upto you and your taste. I am happy to keep mine in the fridge for a week or so, sometimes two. I am not sure that it influences the final taste or quality of the meat.

Yep that's the same as mine at home mate

My lardering facilities for local roe, consist of my kitchen table and domestic fridge. After skinning, off come the haunches, loin fillets, and shoulders. These are placed in large tray on the bottom shelf of fridge, covered in tin foil and left to age for a few days before chopping up. And I get very good steaks this way.

On the rest of the carcass I recover any remaining meat as chunks for the mincer. I have found very fresh venison doesn't mince well at all. I often hung these trimmings in the freezer and when I have a good load, thaw them out but mince them when still just frozen.

Hey folks,
getting prepared for warmer weather hunting and keeping an occassional roe or pig. Don't want to put out a bunch for a full size cooler. Anyone skin/quarter their carcasses to hang? I know you should leave skin on, but Skinning/quartering would let me take advantage of pretty much free (smaller) refridgerators and save room also. If you hang them naked, how long is a decent time before they dry out etc?

Thanks, Dave
I was told by a butcher,that meat can be aged after being butchered,if its vacuum packed.I've bought an Eiffel freshpack vacuum packer,it does a good job and I'll be trying to mature some venison from my next lot.

If I remember rightly there is a formula I got from a Scandinavian friend for hanging outside but under cover (not in a chiller). Divide 30 by the day temperature and you have your hanging time (in the fur), i.e. 30 divided by say today's temp 5 degrees = 6 days. I have tried it years ago and it did seem to work and make good venison. Also ideally in a fly screen net.

However today I have a walk in chiller kept at 3/4 degrees and I hang everything for 5/7 days in the fur dependent on age and older longer (before they go in the chiller cut away any carcass damage and pockets that may hold blood/moisture) . Having said that I have happily hung deer in or out of the fur for up to 21 days and it's produced some outstanding meat, generally meat for myself I hang for 10 days.
If hung skinned (in a chiller) the outside will dry a bit however by the time the carcass is butchered and trimmed any dry surface meat is trimmed off (you really don't loose much at all).
Given the choice I would skin everything and hang it but some is collected by the dealer in the fur and some I keep for butchering so I can't really keep fur and skinned together.

The above is for Fallow, Red and Muntjac, having said that I've done Roe the same!

Had a fallow buck in my chiller just after new year.Had to cut in half and hung the haunch skin on for 10 days,it was the nicest piece of venison I've ever eaten, and having shared the lot with friends and family they are of the same opinion.

I was told by a butcher,that meat can be aged after being butchered,if its vacuum packed.I've bought an Eiffel freshpack vacuum packer,it does a good job and I'll be trying to mature some venison from my next lot.

Mmmm. . . not so sure. I've tried it and yes it does age to an extent but not as good as proper hanging. Remember they just want to get it in front of their customers as quick as possible!

I forgot to say I now skin the Muntjac asap after shooting coz they are a bugger to skin if left too long!! I found out the hard way!! :doh:

In New Zealand I will hang a Red Deer for 10 to 14 days in the Chiller. Sika, and Fallow will be hung for about 5 days, though I will eat these very tasty deer within a day or so of shooting.
10 to 14 days for a Red certainly improves the texture of the meat.

Back