.243 rebarrel. 7mm08?

Jax

I'm considering rebarreling my Sako 85 .243 Win in 7mm08 so that I have one rifle that is legal for all species of Deer and also Boar throughout the UK. Also hoping to shoot in France in the near future and 7mm08 seems to be legal there for Boar?

I'm thinking of using 120gr Nosler BTs for Fox and head/neck shooting Deer and then using 140/150gr Nosler Partitions or Accubonds for Boar. Is anyone else shooting similar loads for these applications? This also brings me onto my next question.

What twist rate/barrel length will be best suited to this range of bullets? Going by the latest Nosler reloading manual they list a 1:9 as being able to handle everything from 120gr - 175gr, but with a 26" barrel. Ideally looking for a barrel no longer that 24" as will have a 5" mod for UK use.

Also hoping to shoot in France in the near future and 7mm08 seems to be legal there for Boar?

You don't need to worry about the calibre restriction in France anymore, it's over since last September. Now that said, 7mm-08 is lovely, and will do for boar, although it isn't ideal.

Not there is anything wrong with 7mm-08 but have you thought about re-barrelling to .308w instead. Ammunition and reloading components are more freely available with a wider selection, and it will be easier to sell a .308w any time should you decide to move it on. As PM says there is no longer a restriction on using .308w in France for hunting.

Thanks for the replies. I probably should have said I mainly shoot foxes and the smaller species of deer, but also have land with Reds. I will mostly likely only shoot Boar a few times a year so don't necessarily need a more boar orientated calibre if you get my drift. I was considering the 7mm08 as the ballistics seem good and the calibre won't put off some land owners that I shoot for (even though it's almost a .308), but at the same the 7mm08 covers me for everything in the UK and further afield. At this point in time I don't particularly want two centre fire rifles.

I'm considering rebarreling my Sako 85 .243 Win in 7mm08 so that I have one rifle that is legal for all species of Deer and also Boar throughout the UK. Also hoping to shoot in France in the near future and 7mm08 seems to be legal there for Boar?

I'm thinking of using 120gr Nosler BTs for Fox and head/neck shooting Deer and then using 140/150gr Nosler Partitions or Accubonds for Boar. Is anyone else shooting similar loads for these applications? This also brings me onto my next question.

What twist rate/barrel length will be best suited to this range of bullets? Going by the latest Nosler reloading manual they list a 1:9 as being able to handle everything from 120gr - 175gr, but with a 26" barrel. Ideally looking for a barrel no longer that 24" as will have a 5" mod for UK use.

I have barrels and reamers for both if you decide to go either way. :)

Just for interest I'm planning a similar move but had in mind a 6.5mm barrel i.e. .260Rem. I've no idea what the situation is in France with that caliber (but will no doubt find out shortly!) but for those bullet sizes and other applications you've mentioned it could be worth considering......?

The whole calibre restriction thing in France is over. They recently clarified some initial uncertainties and essentially you can now use any calibre you want for hunting. Local associations can place further restrictions in terms of minimum calibres for example, but that's a separate matter. 6.5x57 is quite popular in France, although until last September, 6.5x54MS and 6.5x55 Swedish were banned. I don't think they'll catch on much now because they don't have very much more to offer. It does look like .30-06 and 8x57IS are going places though.

7mm-08 and just use 140gr SP as it's a great all-rounder. They turn a fox inside out, mind you so did the 150g I used the other day!

If you re-load and really keen on a fox round there's always the Sierra 100gr HP. Also if you wanted a heavier bullet 160gr works well in the 7mm-08 and I run them at 2,609 ft/s and 2,419 ft/lbs from a 22" barrel (a 24" barrel may give approx 2.659 ft/sec and 2,512 ft/lbs for the same load).

Why not just use a 140gr SPBT for deer and fox and something heavier for boar? Personally I think all these BT's, SST's, Accubond, Molycoated sound suppressing supersonic heat seeking bullets overrated and overpriced for our deer when the good old soft point of correct weight will do the job equally well if not better!

I really like my 7-08, it is a lovely calibre, that said, if i had my time again i'd have gone for .260 rem. I went for a 1:10 twist on the 7-08 which shoots 140s like theyre laser guided. It wont shoot 168s though. And for my applications, the 120gn were pants on the BC.

My conclusion is that 140gn 6.5 bullets are about the most efficient you can get in that weight class or calibre, 140s kill everything well from munties to red stags too.

7mm bullets, for me are only a serious contender if you want to shoot 168gn or ideally 180gn bullets, in which case, the 7-08 doesnt have quite enough guts in my eyes.

But, all that being said, my needs are more than just stalking. For normal stalking purposes theres not much in it.

The seven-oh-eight is a sweetheart. Been shooting 150 grain Sierras and recently got into some 120 GamePro's. Excellent accuracy and speed. They will be aired out on fat mule deer this fall. I have a Tikka which I believe is a 1-9.5" twist.~Muir

I was under the impression that the min cal for UK boar is .270, ruling out the .260? Although from reading various posts on here it seems some forces allow smaller calibres for boar. I think I should err on the side of caution though . . .

Last edited:
I did exactly what you propose, rebarreled a Sako 85 from .243 to 7-08 with 24" Walther barrel. Will need to check twist but think it is 1:9. It shoots Speer TNT 110gr hollow points through to 150gr Swift Scirocco II brilliantly. Have shot uk boar with 140gr Accubonds and it shoots sub MOA with all of them. However, 120gr Nosler ballistic tips are its favourite fodder and work superbly on deer or fox loaded with RL15 powder. I have no problems sourcing reloading components or equipment. It is a very pleasing, versatile calibre to shoot and with the right set up will do exactly what you are looking for.

ATB

It's a swap I'm also considering, but leaning more towards .260 as already have a 7x65r but that's a very different beast. I want the Heym set up as good hill rifle, leaving the 7x65r as a woodland and travelling gun. I'm not sure I want the hastle of trying to get two 7mm rifles on my ticket.

The deer man, can I ask what twist your barrel has?

Hello Jax
Twist rate is 9 1/4"

120's and 140's are the most accurate down to 1/4" groups at times. Having said that 150's and more recently 160's (after a little development) have proved to be excellent which in my view is 3/4" and sometimes less.

The 140's and 160's are Sierra Gameking SPBT
120's are Hornady SP
150's are Speer Cor-Lokt

Further to these I have seen the Sierra 120 and 140 Pro-hunter's in action and they are the most accurate of all. When I buy next I will only get Sierra 140gr Pro-hunters and use them solely for everything - until I get bored and start fiddling all over again!

ATB
TDM

P.S. I'll keep some 160's for my next opportunity for Boar, whenever that will be.

Thanks all. I'm considering a Bergara or Lothar Walther barrel, the Bergara being a 1:9 twist and the LW 1:9.5 I think? The 1:9 of the Bergara will be a bit more versatile though won't it?

Thanks all. I'm considering a Bergara or Lothar Walther barrel, the Bergara being a 1:9 twist and the LW 1:9.5 I think? The 1:9 of the Bergara will be a bit more versatile though won't it?

1-9 twist will do all you need.

7mm-08 and just use 140gr SP as it's a great all-rounder. They turn a fox inside out, mind you so did the 150g I used the other day!

If you re-load and really keen on a fox round there's always the Sierra 100gr HP. Also if you wanted a heavier bullet 160gr works well in the 7mm-08 and I run them at 2,609 ft/s and 2,419 ft/lbs from a 22" barrel (a 24" barrel may give approx 2.659 ft/sec and 2,512 ft/lbs for the same load).

Why not just use a 140gr SPBT for deer and fox and something heavier for boar? Personally I think all these BT's, SST's, Accubond, Molycoated sound suppressing supersonic heat seeking bullets overrated and overpriced for our deer when the good old soft point of correct weight will do the job equally well if not better!

+ 1. For the7-08 and 140gr heads. Both will do the job on anything in the uk and doesn't bite back !! beyond.

Back