taxidermist

In general I would recommend looking at a variety of taxidermists, rather than using proximity as the main priority.

I have used three different taxidermists in the past, only one of which could be seen as in any way local to me. All have produced excellent work that I find attractive.

Taxidermy, like many things in life, proves that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have seen work that others have raved about and, whilst perhaps technically excellent, it's just not to my taste. Sometimes the same taxidermist can produce work where the end result looks better with one species rather than another, at least to my eye. But then taxidermy is like any art - be it engraving, painting, sculpture or whatever - there are many excellent artists out there but some will appeal to you and others won't.

What's important is that you need to find someone who does your particular species the way you like. If you can wait for something like the Game Fair then take the opportunity to have a detailed look at completed work from a variety of taxidermists, deciding on which you like best.

Taxidermy is not cheap, so better to do the research up front and avoid that "if only" feeling afterwards.

willie_gunn

What is a rough price for a roe shoulder mount if you provide the skin? I've been quoted £400 just looking to see if that's average?

What is a rough price for a roe shoulder mount if you provide the skin? I've been quoted £400 just looking to see if that's average?

I paid £360 for a roe shoulder mount, but that was four years ago. At the time I'd been quoted anywhere from £300 upwards.

willie_gunn

Depends how the mount is done. At the moment I am working on a gold medal pedestal mount, with mouth open eating leaves off a branch. There is a lot of work involved in a mount such as this and will be in the £450 range. Plus I have had it measured and bought the medal for the client.

There are some very good taxidermists in the UK, and good taxidermy work is never going to be cheap. But then if you are hanging it on your wall and looking at it every day you want to make sure its done well.

ATB

That sounds interesting there malc, and a heck of a lot of work too. I have Only ever done a handful of browsing deer myself and the hours of work involved where to much for one mount.
I would only ever do one again for competition.

For my first roe to be done with part shoulder mount I payed £150 and after waiting a while
It came back really good.

That sounds interesting there malc, and a heck of a lot of work too. I have Only ever done a handful of browsing deer myself and the hours of work involved where to much for one mount.
I would only ever do one again for competition.

Well its been about 6 years since I undertook any commissions, and since leaving the museum I decided to get back into the work again as I now have a smaller but better workshop at our home, plus all the equipment that has been in moth balls for a few years.
The client is visiting today to view the work and I also have several African commissions lined up, so I am getting back into it. I will post some photos when complete.

Apart from Ian Kirby, who do you use for shields and stands, in particular good quality bases and or pedestals?

Regards

Malc

Look forward to seeing some pictures.

For pedestals I used to use a local woodworker but he as now retired, but just getting some priced in oak from another guy not far away.
The old barn wood ones I make myself.

I visited malcolm yesterday and am extremely pleased with his work it's brilliant, I'll hold off posting a picture until it's complete. Wonderful work malcolm and thank you. I can't wait to see the end result it looks amazing. what a way to show respect to the animal regardless of the medal status.

thanks

Louis

I visited malcolm yesterday and am extremely pleased with his work it's brilliant, I'll hold off posting a picture until it's complete. Wonderful work malcolm and thank you. I can't wait to see the end result it looks amazing. what a way to show respect to the animal regardless of the medal status.

thanks

Louis

Thank you Louis for the kind words, I have enjoyed undertaking the commission and bringing a memory of the days stalking back to life again.
As soon as the mount is completed, as in dried and mounted on the stand with groundwork I will take some photos and post on the site.

Let me know if you want to book some Roe Buck outings for later in the spring or summer.

Regards
Malcolm

Back