Starting Reloading

foxyrich

Hi,

New to Stalking directory but been shooting for a few years.

I am about to start reloading for a 204 as up until now I have been using factory ammo.

I have read the Hornady and Lee reloading books and looked a loads of videos and read far too many bits on the internet... but everything seems very clear with the exception of one detail lands!

To start reloading and not get too complicated is it best to simply work with the max col specified and stay away from measuring and understanding loading to the lands?

Also what is best start at lowest published load and produce batches of five in 0.5gr increments to just say 0.5gr under max load and then fine tune either way around which of these loads shoots best, for the 204 its only 3gr between these extremes.

Also it says max case trim length of 1.850", do I simply trim to 1.840" when needed?

Lastly does anyone reload for these and what are you finding the best combination, my tikka shoots both 32gr and 40gr factory ammunition very well, better than I can lol. However a few places have said they are struggling getting SBK which seems a good round to start with.

Rich

Last edited:
I have never loaded for 204 but it is worth looking up Dan Newberrys OCW method of choosing a load. Basically it looks for the charge weights where small variations in charge make little difference to point of impact. Start with the col specified in the manual, determine the optimum charge weight, then alter seating depth last. Looks like less of a faff

"stay away from measuring" No, you should make this measurement, then load your bullet to about ten thou less than this. Measuring the "fit" of the bullet/case to your chamber is the whole basis for the claimed superiority of home loads over factory ammo. Compare this to an off the shelf suit; you can buy a very nice Armani suit "off the peg", but a made to measure job will look just a bit better. Same with home loaded ammo.

"stay away from measuring" No, you should make this measurement, then load your bullet to about ten thou less than this. Measuring the "fit" of the bullet/case to your chamber is the whole basis for the claimed superiority of home loads over factory ammo. Compare this to an off the shelf suit; you can buy a very nice Armani suit "off the peg", but a made to measure job will look just a bit better. Same with home loaded ammo.

I disagree. The OP says that factory ammo shoots better than he can hold. Why not load the same bullet to the same length?? I'm not sure the makers of said ammo came by and measured the distances to his lands before they produced it for him.

As to trimming. Do it religiously.~Muir

Having recently started off myself under 2 years...

Here are some things I found...

* Check the length that can be fed through you mag first. ;) (along with the head space measurements)

This 'mag length' - head space dims will give you the 'jump' that you will be working with.

* I only load 4 rounds of each weight, 5 can be too many to notice a good or bad grouping. @0.3-4gr increments MAX, allows you a clear picture of the accuracy nodes.

*Competition dies make the changes in length SOOOOO much easier.

Oh and always write everything you measure/cut/weigh down in a book.

Hope this kinda helps...

p.s Everyone has their own way of doing things.

Hi,

OCW looks a good option for sure, nice vids too although the wife is looking at me a little strange as volume turned up to max lol.

Looks like I'll be measuring my chamber, any tips or tools that will make it easier or accurate.

much appreciated,

rich

Hi,

Seems measuring to lands is straight forward dependant on magazine being large enough, especially when using a comparator rather than measuring to tip.

Just don't get how you can accurately measure the headspace, have read measure a fired brass and deduct 20 thou and another said tape the head of your case and cycling through the bolt to see if touching but all seem less than accurate? I thought the resizing die would give me a Sami spec case regarding headspace?

Back