Brains!

PointBlank

Had an interesting request today from someone asking for a chef if they could buy all the brains, tongues, hearts and livers of all the deer I shoot! :confused:

Question is, what has he got planned and is it worth the hassle trying to get the brain out?

If the brain doesn't need to be removed intact then cut the head in half with a bone saw and scoop out as two hemispheres.

Had an interesting request today from someone asking for a chef if they could buy all the brains, tongues, hearts and livers of all the deer I shoot! :confused:

Question is, what has he got planned and is it worth the hassle trying to get the brain out?

Never tried deer brains or tongue... but I like Ox-tongue.. a lot. As for deer heart... that is possibly the very best bit...

I reckon he is making a brawn with the brain and tongue. It's normally made from pigs head and trotters (Brawn: Recipes: Good Food Channel). Not sure it would work without the fat though and I think the trotters create the jelly. Why not give it to him, then let us know?

Brains aren't bad, dusted in flour and shallow fried they are kind of like mushroom pate... Sort of. I just cut the skull with a bone saw and scoop out the two halves, not sure how you would get them out intact sufficed to say you'd have to be very careful.

When I was a lot younger my Dad used to regularly eat calves brains on toast.Never tried it mind you.
One of the keepers fathers also used to come up to the slaughterhouse when we culled in the park and cut out all the deer tongues too for homemade pressed tongue

"some people use the brains for tanning i believe?" The North American Indians, Native Americans?, believed that each animal had brains enough to tan its own hide.

I am intrigued enough to give it a go, now I just need to find a way to get the brain out of the skull which doesn't involve a 140gr bullet hitting it!

I am intrigued enough to give it a go, now I just need to find a way to get the brain out of the skull which doesn't involve a 140gr bullet hitting it!

The first brains I tried were out of a headshot muntjac doe, popped the brains out almost completely intact on the grass beside her, so I wrapped them in a glove rinsed the grass off when I got in and tried them.

The first brains I tried were out of a headshot muntjac doe, popped the brains out almost completely intact on the grass beside her, so I wrapped them in a glove rinsed the grass off when I got in and tried them.

And...?

"some people use the brains for tanning i believe?" The North American Indians, Native Americans?, believed that each animal had brains enough to tan its own hide.

The belief is that "every animal has enough brains to save it's own hide".

Neil. :)

and also rabbit skins boiled in urine makes extremely strong natural glue and i mean strong ,see grand designs kev macleod and his man shed!:old::fox::thumb:

Back