Thread: Pre 1919

Pre 1919

I recently applied for a firs time FAC which I got everything I wanted and was provided very quickly which I was pleased with.

However I was refused a pre 1919 pistol, section 7.3. I was told this need to be part of an already exciting collection.

I have an interest in ww1 history and have spent many a time on the continent visiting historic sites but I do not have collection of badges or uniforms.

Has anyone come across this? What did they do to show their interest and collection.

Presumably you are a member of an approved club where you can use and store such a pistol, if so take the matter up via the NRA. Or are you simply intending to start a collection and not shoot it?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Hello, that is correct I am a member of an approved club which it will be stored at and it will very much be shot.

Are there many members on here who have the 7.3 on their licence and when I originally asked my FAO is did not know anything about it? I would have thought it was a risk free practice given the guns stay on site.

I have a number of 7.3 pistols on my FAC which are stored at Bisley (which is a section 7 'designated site'). I shoot them fairly regularly there. They form part of my collection of 'Officer Pistols'. You need to prove to your FLD that you are genuinely interested in that period of our history and will be starting a collection. You say you are a member of an approved club, is this a section 7 designated site as only they are authorised to store section 7 pistols?

My advice to you would be to contact the Historical Brechloading Smallarms Association (HBSA) with your enquiry and interest. HBSA has a Northern Branch which meet regularly in the Royal Armouries in Leeds

Here is a link to the HBSA contacts page Contact the HBSA - Historical Breechloading Smallarms Association

Good luck with your collection

Thanks for your reply. Yes I am a member of club which has this status and have various pistols on site. I am assuming all yours are all pre 1919? On my list there is a 1911 and 9mm Luger which appear to be very reasonably priced.

It is a great link and I will look at joining.

Thanks again.