Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting in Kazakhstan / Firearms procedures

Hunting in Kazakhstan / Firearms procedures

Recognise this is probably not a path well trodden on this website, but has anyone been hunting in Kazakhstan?

If so, have you any idea on the paper work required and restrictions on taking your own firearms?

For the curious I have been invited to go wolf shooting....

speak to BASC or similair

There's a chap called Henry Skeffington on Facebook who deals with kirghizstan. He could probably help. I think also if you go to Hunters, or Hunters Forum on fb you'll get guys who can keep you right. I was raking my brains, bu Henry's company is The Real Big Five. Probably plenty on google. I hope you go and keep me posted. I hope to go November 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post

For the curious I have been invited to go wolf shooting....
    Ooooh, you lucky chap! And in an amazing part of the world too. Is there an "envy" emoticon I can tag on this post...?

better take you some silver bullets along just in case...... Have fun.....

Had not thought about the silver that would set a new benchmark for expense that I would not like to set :-)

I have been Googling and apparently Russia & Kazakhstan have a Customs union (parallel to EU) and it talks about entry and exit permits but no more detail than that. I have to apply for a visa in any event so will ask at the Embassy.

It wouldn't surprise me if the backup 'paper'work you require is a modest amount of dollars/euros!!
    Good hunting

Well i went to Kazakhstan, had an amazing trip and returned in one piece. In the end my local friends suggested that not taking my own rifle was the best course of action / least hassle. I must stay that I am none the wiser as the procedures to temporarily import weapons but will follow up on a lead at the Embassy in London.

We had a cracking weekend. We were in the eastern mountains of Kazakhstan about 400kms from Karaganda. Temperatures were rather frosty at around -22C during the day and dropping to -37C at night. Hence the Michelin man outfit and because of the noise of the snow mobiles Camo is irrelevant. We bagged 2 wolves over 2 days - a very large alpha male (which one of my hosts shot - in the 3rd photo - big animal and felt like about 50kgs when I was lifting it for the photo) and a smaller 2 year old bitch (which I shot) - quite an adventure and apparently quite an achievement. The local farmers were celebrating my 1st wolf and were very pleased to see 2 less wolves as they had lost livestock over the weekend. Apparently there are in excess of 90,000 wolves and there is a government approved cull plan and bounty on each wolf (about equivalent of USD100) which the local farmers will claim. The pelts are being cured for rugs - although the alpha male could have made a good sized jacket! Overall the weather was exceptional as it was sunny if freezing. My camera batteries were not up to the challenge!

The shooting was not exactly long range as we were chasing them on snow mobiles with semi-automatic Benelli shotguns using 5.6mm diameter shot ("F" shot I think in UK terms). You need to hunt in a pack to catch them - each kill is truly a collective trophy - and we were 6 snow mobiles in total. Before you dismiss this - the wolves are super cunning and you have to find their night hunting tracks, follow them for hours to find their daylight resting places/hides in the steeps and then trick them out of their hides.

The wolves can run at about 30km/h and are far more nimble versus a snow mobile unless you are in the open plains. It took us hours of pursuit to be able to get a shot....we were out for about 10 hours each day with a large amount of that time in the "saddle" during which you are constantly moving to steer and balance the ski mobile as you move from plains to ridge-lines and over the other side. There was one definite adrenaline moment for my host when closing in on the alpha male. The dog wolf had been shot in the hindquarters and was reduced significantly in strength. The pursuing snow mobile quickly came level with the wolf - for a moment he turned and made ready to leap in attack but realised he had insufficient strength. At the distance they were apart he would have otherwise made it in one leap and been on top of my hosts. He was then quickly despatched.

With this intensive activity and jolting, together with the compulsory vodka and despite saunas in the evenings - I was destroyed after 2 days! The locals live off a restricted diet - mostly horse meat (apparently a stable of the Kazakh diet) and root vegetables - which goes back to their nomadic Tartar roots - think Genghis Khan! Out in the mountains, hot horse meat soup in the middle of the day never tasted so good - especially as it was hot. The local farmers predominantly raise horse for human consumption.

It was a full-on trip and it was definitely worth the journey. I left feeling like an adopted brother and greatly enjoyed the share hunting experience with the knowledge and guidance of the local farmers and my hosts - I hope to experience it again!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KZ Wolf Day 2 Feb 2014.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	38770Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KZ Karagandy Airport Feb 2014.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	38769Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KZ Wolf Day 12 Feb 2014.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	38771

Before you dismiss this - the wolves are super cunning and you have to find their night hunting tracks, follow them for hours to find their daylight resting places/hides in the steeps and then trick them out of their hides.

I think it's great to hunt in different country's and experience their ways, sounds like it was full on thanks for sharing, wayne
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Sounds like a great experiance!

Congratualtions, it sounds like it was hard work and difficult hunting. Very interesting to hear "different" experiances.