My Trophy Journey

Some of you will have seen my thread earlier this year about the Heym SR44B that I bought. I have since had the chance to put a nice scope on it as I didn't have the funds when I bought it and then rings to suite. The rifle is now complete apart from a few knocks and scrapes that it has that I intend to get sorted over the summer when funds allow.
So now with the rifle in full working order and load found it is time to use it for the reason I bought it for, trophy hunting.
Before anybody says "that's not proper deer management, shooting trophies". For the record I do more than my fair share for Deer Management as I have around four hundred deer that I look after each year, and have done for about ten years. So now I have decided to spend a little, once or twice a year, buying a trophy here and there around the country and getting out and about and seeing a bit more of the world.
So here we go. Trophy Number 1.

20140129_100849.jpg20140129_100724.jpg

I hope to be able to report back with a Muntjac later in March.

Last edited:
Well done you! Its nice to live a little every now and then. Lovely buck as well...

Nice beast Paul, and an artistically posed photo. Looks like a beautiful rifle - fantastic figuring on the stock.

Very nice. Is he a wildie from the borders or down in englandshire?

Novice

Hi Novice

It was from Englandshire

That's a fantastic buck and rifle. What calibre is it?

It's in 7 x 57

Thanks for the other comments, as said, it's nice to get out and about and live a little. I'll post some pics once I have had the work done on the stock later in the year. Should bring the stock out even better,

Thanks

Paul

Just like everybody else here, very envious of rifle and buck. Bloody well done you. I hope you shoot many fine trophies and garner many fine memories. Keep us all posted. I did go away down into the dark depths of deepest Englandshire a couple of months ago looking for a big buck, but the strong winds had caused a lot of damage and the beasts had moved. Not comfy with their environment at that time. I spoke with the boss the other day and he says they have pulled back in and he's seeing a few about. Maybe next time.

Nice! Its great to treat yourself every so often with a trophy! After all, it is only 1 if you are lucky in a year rather than the normal cull animals! Bet you are quit pleased!

As already said lovely rifle and very good Fallow, look forward to the next instalment, are you working your way round all UK deer species?

Moose

Thanks everybody for the comments, yes I'm pleased with the Buck and it's a great start to my collection.

As already said lovely rifle and very good Fallow, look forward to the next instalment, are you working your way round all UK deer species?

Moose

Hi Moose

Yes I intend to get a trophy from all six species and then head off abroard to collect some of the goat species as well.

Thanks

Paul

....I hope that you have a slush fund for the taxidermy 'cos a buck like that would look absolutely stonking as a shoulder mount; well done, and I hope that you manage to land on beasts of a similar high standard within the other species you pursue.

When does chapter #2 take place?

....I hope that you have a slush fund for the taxidermy 'cos a buck like that would look absolutely stonking as a shoulder mount; well done, and I hope that you manage to land on beasts of a similar high standard within the other species you pursue.

When does chapter #2 take place?

Hi Merlin

I won't have this one shoulder mounted as I have just had another one done and to be honest my house is too small for two of them so I have just done a scull mount. I do indeed intend to get as good a quality of all the other species with my next one being a medal head Muntjac towards the end of march so I'll keep you posted.
I haven't picked this one up from the taxidermist as yet but here is a pic of what I concider will probably be the best Fallow buck I'll ever shoot.

rgt.jpg

It was a park deer that came from a herd that I have managed for just over ten years now and it was one of the very first prickets that I let grow on, so to be honest I have a greater conection with this trophy than any other I have to date.

Thanks

Paul

Well done mate that is a lovely buck and a cracking photo even if I say so myself. Looking forward to the next instalment

Hi merlin pauls white buck was done by Bill Bartlett

Back