Daily Telegraph - Handgun poll

I saw this thread (it is now 18 months after JabaliHunter started it), referenced off the latest Daily Mail one and thought that I would see how the Telegraph poll ended up:
Yes72.62%133,421 votes
No27.38%50,299 votes
Total Votes: 183,720

Last edited:
Great to see that sort of support! Its about time we had a sensible discussion about shooting sports rather than the usual crazy hyperbole and sensationalism that usually gets thrown around.

The handgun ban did nothing to prevent criminals and simply just stopped the law abiding hobbyists. But then we all knew that at the time hehe!

Hopefully the powers that be listen to this sort of thing, but TBH I'm not holding my breath...

Having practical experience of living in countries that have legal handgun usage and here in the UK where they are banned, I can without a shadow of doubt state that the UK has done the right thing.

How about the next time you see a bit of road rage, imagine that the raging idiot in the other car has a loaded handgun with him... Been there, seen that, not a nice experience at all.

Having practical experience of living in countries that have legal handgun usage and here in the UK where they are banned, I can without a shadow of doubt state that the UK has done the right thing.

How about the next time you see a bit of road rage, imagine that the raging idiot in the other car has a loaded handgun with him... Been there, seen that, not a nice experience at all.

If we were to get our pistols back,why do you think we would drive with them in the car loaded.
We don't carry our rifles/shotguns loaded-it's naughty.

Who needs anti's with that sort of mentality within the legally held shooting community..

Ridiculous statement, if a legitimate fac owner was of the mind to carry a loaded handgun in the car theyd also think nothing of carrying a loaded rifle..

I stopped taking the Daily Telegraph nearly three years ago. The political commentator, Simon Heffer, is another 'Tory 'toff' who believes that use riff raff should ONLY be allowed shot guns. The paper is more and more 'all Countryfile' it is attitudes I fear...

Having practical experience of living in countries that have legal handgun usage and here in the UK where they are banned
I've only ever lived in the UK, and before 1996 Firearms Certificate holders were allowed lawfully to possess handguns.

How about the likelihood of this not having been reduced at all by the banning of lawful handgun ownership in this country.

There doesn't seem to be a shortage of handguns in criminal hands here.

And pray tell me why any legal owner of a handgun would carry it in his car just in case he got into a road rage situation. I think the only people carrying illegal pistols in their cars at this moment in time or in the future IF the ban is lifted, which I doubt will happen, I can think of the following:

Terrorists, criminals, gang members, all of whom are in illegal possession of a firearm and if you encounter one of them in a road rage situation.................. no comment, or they carry knives, which on past performance seems to be the weapon of choice in the U.K.

Your suggestion that if handguns were returned to people legally entitled to own one that we would all carry it in our vehicles is about the most sweeping statement I have ever heard.
God help the British shooting team if they are allowed to use their pistols in the U.K again!!!!

And pray tell me why any legal owner of a handgun would carry it in his car just in case he got into a road rage situation.

Sorry mate, I am not trying to cause discord, I am just saying what I have experienced.

Seeing someone pull out a handgun in a road rage incident in Johannesburg scared the crap out of me. It made me glad that we don't have the same handgun laws in the UK as they do in South Africa and the USA.

I would love for target pistols to be made legal - big difference between that and those that call for "self defence" weapons.

Last edited:
Sorry mate, I am not trying to cause discord, I am just saying what I have experienced.

The relevant thing which you appear not to have experienced is the UK before handguns were taken from lawful holders.

Without having experienced that, your assertion
is entirely baseless, and might indeed be seen as inflammatory.

I think if we had been less-well regulated before the ban, you might have had a point - but we really weren't!

Last edited:
Like many of you here I was told the story of the vet who turned up at a deer/vehicle collision and got out of his car holding an unannounced handgun ... which prompted the young PC in attendance to yell "GUN!" and reach for his pepper spray. So if I take a handgun on a callout and decide its use is appropriate, I announce it first well ahead of waving it around. Still get the occasional funny look from the Law though.

Then if I decide to take part in some armed road rage on the way home, I know that I've first got to find the key to the locked pistol box which is itself bolted to the truck's chassis, and which I can't use without first switching the truck off. Then I've got to find some ammunition (carried separately somewhere else), and then load up a couple of rounds.

A swift mental run through that lot, and I've thought better of it ... home for a nice cup of tea instead :)

Last edited:
Well, I remember a legal and licensed handgun owner being stopped in Canterbury in the 1980's with a handgun in the glove compartment of his car. He was prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Sadly the internet isn't too friendly in trying to search back that far, but I've never forgotten it.

I am a former full bore handgun owner and lost my legally held handguns here in the UK in 1997 along with the rest of uk's like minded owners.

I would love to see them come back but I wouldn't hold my breath. I can't ever see them coming back. Imagine the public outrage and political point scoring should the ban be repealed and we ever had another incident like Dumblane, politicians who voted for the repeal would very probably be hung out to dry.

Last edited:

So why aren't the roads in Belgium, Holland, France, Italy, Germany, Sweden, Finland (I could go on) knee deep in slain motorists. We have saying in Sheffield, "tha dunnarf talk sum $h1te"

Last edited:
Me thinks you watched fight club and too many videos, having had a friend shot in the neck outside a church in South Africa while waiting to drive off in her car, I can see why you would want a pistol.

Back