Am I as camouflaged as I thought I was?

I think the scent thing is pretty over done.

I don't know - certainly with roe, it seems to be make a big difference. Two observations:

I night shoot bunnies/foxes on a golf course with 3 resident parties of roe. I don't shoot them, but often bump into them. They way they react to the light seems to entirely depend on the wind: if I'm up wind, they scatter the moment the light finds them. If I'm down wind, I can walk up to within 40m with the light on constantly, and they just blink at it looking peeved.

On a farm where I stak roe, there's a perfectly positioned grassy knoll I can lie up to wait fro them to come out of forestry into a sheltered dell. The wind is very gusty and frequently changes direction. Quite often I can be lying 40-60m from a roe deer feeding calmly, the wind can swing, and the roe is off in a flash.

For something cheaper than nikwax tech wash, try Liquid Soap Flakes, which is a detergentless pure soap liquid. I buy it from Waitrose and use it for washing all my merino wool kit, but also wash my goretex and any other outdoor stuff too. No optical brighteners in it.

wash your gear in plain water, and not to often. store them in a plastic bag with some fresh pine cones and fir sprigs to mask any scent when not using them.

Back