importing mag from usa

dave carpenter

hello I am looking to import a shr 970 mag from the usa and would like to know what the laws are on importing mags and the like e.g. dose it have to be sent to an RFD or as it isn't sort of involved with the firing of the gun can it be sent to my house

thanks Dave

As long as the seller will export it can be posted direct to your home. Many U.S. firms will not export gun parts because of confusion over the U.S. restrictions and regulations. I have had magazines sent to me in the past by some companies with no problem whatsoever while others have insisted that a federal export licence is required which at the time ran about $200 so didn't make it worthwhile. I'm afraid it's pretty much hit or miss.

As far as I'm aware, generic non-pressure spare parts for sporting rifles are not covered by the ITAR restrictions in the US. I have not had any problems purchasing magazines for my Rugers in the US and bringing them back through US and UK security. Your main problem with mail order will be finding a retailer willing to ship ANY firearm related item to the UK full stop - they are terrified of putting a foot wrong.

Bits like magazines aren't covered by your FAC and don't need the involvement of an RFD - we get a mate's Czech' housekeeper to buy CZ magazines from the factory outlet whenever she goes home to Brno, as they're half the price that Edgar Bros charge here in the UK.

I understand the rules are different for parts for millitary derived AR15 style rifles - I'm currently at the GAO Show in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania and am trying to clarify if I can bring back hi-capacity .223 AR15 polymer magazines for a mate, as the ones he wants cost me £7 trade here as opposed to £30 in the UK.

Adam.

Edit: If you can get it shipped to my hotel in Harrisburg before Monday the 10th February, I'll bring it back for you and post it in the UK. Drop me a PM.

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware, generic non-pressure spare parts for sporting rifles are not covered by the ITAR restrictions in the US. I have not had any problems purchasing magazines for my Rugers in the US and bringing them back through US and UK security. Your main problem with mail order will be finding a retailer willing to ship ANY firearm related item to the UK full stop - they are terrified of putting a foot wrong.

Bits like magazines aren't covered by your FAC and don't need the involvement of an RFD - we get a mate's Czech' housekeeper to buy CZ magazines from the factory outlet whenever she goes home to Brno, as they're half the price that Edgar Bros charge here in the UK.

I understand the rules are different for parts for millitary derived AR15 style rifles - I'm currently at the GAO Show in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania and am trying to clarify if I can bring back hi-capacity .223 AR15 polymer magazines for a mate, as the ones he wants cost me £7 trade here as opposed to £30 in the UK.

Adam.

Edit: If you can get it shipped to my hotel in Harrisburg before Monday the 10th February, I'll bring it back for you and post it in the UK. Drop me a PM.

Dave, I'm over in the states for three weeks Feb 17 to Mar 8. If you have no joy drop me a pm and we could maybe sort you out!!

Deano

well i sent of an email to a company state side looking to purchase a new 22.250 595 5 shot mag :( im still waiting for a reply ?

bob.

Back