Gun dog coats

splash

Just a quick question

On the shoot where I beat I'm the only one who puts a coat on my springer at the end of the day !

Do you ? and if not why not.

I arrive home approx. 30min and take her out of the lintran box and she it warm and nearly dry, mine cost less than £20 your dog will keep condition better if looked after.

With my vet hat on I think these a superb idea. Was shooting yesterday and pleased to see 2 coats go on at the end.

If my cocker is any use and we take her shooting we will get her a coat

I carry a couple of towels per dog and they have a vet blanket to lie on. I was given a zip up towel bag affair which was awful…difficult to put on and the dog couldn't move.

A coat sounds a good idea, are you referring to fleece or towelling ones? Can you recommend a particular make?

A beating friend uses a Hi-Viz jacket on her Cocker, but that is to prevent it being shot as a fox again!

I put Equafleece jumpers on my HWV's if they are wet, just towell them down, then put their jumpers on. Look after them they are the best shooting mates you can have.
Wf1

Just a quick question

On the shoot where I beat I'm the only one who puts a coat on my springer at the end of the day !

Do you ? and if not why not.

I arrive home approx. 30min and take her out of the lintran box and she it warm and nearly dry, mine cost less than £20 your dog will keep condition better if looked after.

I use a thick towelling coat at the end of the day or half way if weather is wet. Dog dries off quick and comes out dry and warm. If it's a wet day i use it at half time as it keeps muscles warm and ready for next drives. If dogs are all in together with good bedding under them i don't feel it is so important, but when in dog box on their own, do feel it is good to help them dry of quicker. :)

+1 for equafleece, i use them on a cocker and a lab and totaly agree with Wildfowler 1 look after them, they have worked hard for you all day. W.S.

Mine is a green wax cotton job with a soft cotton interior, three Velcro straps hold it on.

W R Outhwaite wax padded dog coat.

Mine has a wax cotton unlined jacket that goes all the way around the chest and connects together with press-studs. Doesn't impede his movements, so he keeps it on, not just for afterwards.

German make, I forget the name.

Keeps him clean and dry, except for legs, which he licks clean in a few minutes. Without it he would usually need a warm shower (which he loves). Or hosepipe job (less loved).

Keeps him clean and dry, except for the legs. Stays on very well, whereas standard coats slide about and end up lop-sided.

We use equafleeces on our cockers after a hard wet day beating and when really cold day stalking we work them in Rivers west fleece coats their are the same material as my Rivers west stalking smock serious quality, when we put the dogs in their coats some of the other beaters always say "look at the little woosie dogs ' but I point out that when my dogs are older they will still be able to work and have a better quality of life than their own dogs and mine aren't sitting there shaking with cold hope that helps bazil

Defo going to get equafleece for next season as my spanial had a couple of occasions at the end of this season when he was totally knacked and cold another keeper friend also nearly lost one of his last week exhausted and cold .
norma

Freebies

Reading this I remembered that I have a couple of coats that belonged to a Weimaraner I once had (re-homed due to personal circumstances and I miss him terribly :( ) . I'd be happy for someone else to have them and put them to good use, just reply to this thread - preferably with a photo of your dog looking cold (haha) - and let me know which one you would like. The florescent one has a bit of barbed wire damage, which could easily be repaired, but the other one is 'as new' bar a few hairs (I might even stick them through the wash!).

They are around 56" along the shortest length, back of neck to base of tail.

Free to a good home for P&P only. Wood burner not included!

Nick.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 39
My ESS works his heart out all day for me so why would'nt I do my best for him and keep him warm on the way home, Yes to the equifleece very good coats.
Brian

I put my cocker in an equafleece with a couple of extra towels in her cage since she works incredibly hard all day and is usually soaked through. It's about 2 hours before we get home after the day finishes, so plenty of time to get properly chilled. It took her little while to get used to it but now she is very compliant, waiting for it to be put on at the end of the day. Wouldn't want to be without one now.

Thanks for PMs regarding the freebie coats and sorry I haven't got back to you, I'm on my DSC down in Deepest Dorset at the moment and phone/net access is terrible. Both coats are now taken and going to a good home :)

Nick

I am a keeper and I always put a padded toweling coats on my cockers and springers lunch time and at the end of the day when it's very wet and cold.

Tony

I worked 2 Weimaraner's beating and they wore neoprene coats while working when it was cold. At the end of the day they had their coats removed, got a good towel dry then curled up in a duvet in their dog box for the journey home.
Wingy

I went to the Shooting show on Friday and there were a few stands selling dog coats, one of which was chalk and cheese above the others in terms of quality and function and appearance. They can be used both during or after working.

Landsdowncountry.co.uk they are triple layered wool acrylic and polypropylene fibres which act as a wicking system so the inside dries, they are shower, wind and snag proof, machine washable and look great.

No affiliation just pleased with the purchase. I bought two!

Alan

Back