Supplying to a game dealer

Jamesneale89

Hi all I just wanted to clarify something.

can I as a stalker with DSC 1and 2 supply shot deer to my game dealer with tags attached etc without being registered as a food business?

i only supply him with 10-20 carcasses a year?

i have been reading a lot if posts and getting mixed messages, even on Web it states to supply in fur you have to be registered is this correct as I am quite confused.

Think I nay have opened a can of worms on this subject

Worth a read http://www.bds.org.uk/new_game_meat_laws.html

My interpretation of this is that if you supply or give away game you do require to be registered with your local authority as a food business.

Yes to the OP - Primary producer/Hunter exemption

No (to the food business statement above)
It depends entirely on what state the "game" is in (i.e. in fur/ feather)
And whom you are giving it away to.....

personally I come over all funny at the idea of GIVING anything away...at least get paid in alcohol man!

Okay now it's clearer, so if my chiller is a bit full for personal use I have to register as good business to supply game to my local game dealer,thanks for your links.

quick question, how many of you sell carcasses In skin to your dealer and have not registered as a food business?

Worth a read http://www.bds.org.uk/new_game_meat_laws.html

My interpretation of this is that if you supply or give away game you do require to be registered with your local authority as a food business.

This piece by Hugh Rose is now 8 years old. The FSA website is the place to go for current information and if it's still not clear, phone the folk. SNH have not responded to my queries on this question.

Regards JCS

Just to clarify I took this if FSA faqs

SITUATION H: I shoot fairly regularly but only as a guest on estate shoots. Would an AGHE be allowed to take carcases from me? As I am actually only a private individual, is it true that I have to register as a food business if I take the odd carcase to an AGHE?
The AGHE operator may accept carcases from you, but he cannot accept them without all relevant information supplied by the trained person at the shoot. In the case of large wild game this means ensuring that you pass on to the AGHE the trained person’s large wild game declaration (produced at the shoot) to accompany the carcase.

It is important always to bear in mind that, even as a private individual, you are supplying food onwards and this means you are responsible for supplying safe food under general food law.

Direct and prompt delivery to the AGHE, ensuring that your vehicle is kept clean on shooting days, free from contamination and, where necessary, disinfected, will demonstrate ‘due diligence’ under the Food Safety Act 1990.

Concerning registration, most LAs would not regard you as a food business operator as no premises of your own are involved and your private vehicle is being used only occasionally to deliver a primary product to an AGHE. But traceability rules apply so many LAs prefer to keep a register with the contact details of anyone even occasionally involved in putting carcases into the local wild game supply chain.

So you may decide that the best thing to do is to contact your LA with your details, explaining how in a very small way you fit into the wild game supply chain. The EHO will also be able to provide guidance on best practice for hygienic use of your vehicle, etc.

Show less

James, the whole point of your level one training and the trained hunter number you are given is to allow you to take advantage of that status to send a carcass into the food chain with traceability. There is an exemption for small numbers of deer to be sent into the food chain by a trained hunter without having to be registered as a food business. When I say small numbers it has never been defined in law but you will never breach that notional threshold.
Inspect it, tag it, and sell it to a dealer/butcher and don't worry !

prometheousCheers for that, i know i can tag it and sell it it was do with the numbers as thier is no set amount and apparently a small number constitutes 300 beasts or less so i should be fine.was just asking because read a few threads on here and got my mind going a little.

Hi, Can someone enlighten me please, I did my DSC 1 and 2 in 1998/2000. I have also got a second certificate for DSC 1 with the large game meat hygiene clause at the bottom. I never take any carcasses to the game dealer. I cant find a trained hunter number on any of my paperwork. There is a certificate No. Is that it?

Thanks

Steve

Hi, Can someone enlighten me please, I did my DSC 1 and 2 in 1998/2000. I have also got a second certificate for DSC 1 with the large game meat hygiene clause at the bottom. I never take any carcasses to the game dealer. I cant find a trained hunter number on any of my paperwork. There is a certificate No. Is that it?

Thanks

Steve

Yes it's you're candidate number on your certificate

Thanks

Steve

You are right Steve, I don't think it says anywhere on the paperwork you get with level one "this is your trained hunter status number too".
Hope you are well
simon

Back