Am I being thick? - Mount Question

Stringer

Flicking through some old threads I came across the 1st picture below. What drew my attention to it is the fact that the mounts look the same as mine, however the front mount appears to be the opposite way round from mine. I have always found that I struggle to bring my scopes far enough back to allow for a comfortable eye relief.

I've had a look at mine (see second) photo and dont think I can turn mine around as it seems to be tapered where the base slides on.

Am I missing something and being really dumb or is there another type of base that allows the ring to be attached further back?

Apologies to ejg for using his image. Let me know if its a problem

ejg's set up
sakolamin.jpg

My set up
newscope.jpg

Thanks

Stephen

Sako do two types with the reverse system.
Sako long and Sako extended for short scopes.

Looking at your own picture it appears that you are not at the rear of the dovetail.
Below is a pic. of my Sako .308 with the front mount at the rear end of the dovetail to give maximum length.

HWH.

OPTILOCS002.jpg

:oops: Ahh. It's begining to make sense now. looks like I have wrongly assumed that the base had to be all the way forward into the dove tail.

Thank goodness you posted Stag I was just about to part with cash. I'll give this a go when I get home.

Many Thanks & merry Chrismas to you and your family.

With the tikka optilocks I tapped the arrestor pin with a wee hammer & then was able to move the ring to the previous hole.
I haven't seen the underneath of sako optilocks so don't know if this is an option to you.

Ps the pin is on the fore mount on the tikkas

There are no holes or pins on the front dovetail or mount of my Sako 75.
A pin is part of the rear mount and there is a downturned U for it to slide into at the rear of the back dovetail.

HWH.

stag1933 said:
There are no holes or pins on the front dovetail or mount of my Sako 75.
A pin is part of the rear mount and there is a downturned U for it to slide into at the rear of the back dovetail.

HWH.

Same with the 85.

Tried moving the front mount back and it seem to have done the trick. just cant decide whether I need the lower rings :lol:

Don`t splash your cash.
Looking at your photo there appears to be no problem with excessive height and now you are further back you will be nearer the thick end anyway.

HWH.

Back