RTA Call Out Register

I've just been told by Thames Valley that they don't maintain a register of stalkers who are willing to attend RTAs involving deer - it is all done through the RSPCA or their internal police firearms instructors.

Is this true - seems a hell of a big area for a few instructors to cover?

Does anyone have any experience of dealing with the RSPCA under such circumstances? I can't imagine they'd be very proactive about calling out a stalker to dispatch a wounded animal?

75 said:
I've just been told by Thames Valley that they don't maintain a register of stalkers who are willing to attend RTAs involving deer - it is all done through the RSPCA or their internal police firearms instructors.

Does anyone have any experience of dealing with the RSPCA under such circumstances? I can't imagine they'd be very proactive about calling out a stalker to dispatch a wounded animal?

One of my good friends get's called out to undertake road casuality despatching of deer, he is in TVP area so will get back when I have the info.

Dave

cockersam said:
75 said:

One of my good friends get's called out to undertake road casuality despatching of deer, he is in TVP area so will get back when I have the info.

Dave

Got the answer, you are right the TVP no longer keep a register because have a guess, you got it- Health and Safety-. If the old bill call someone out and it goes wrong they are liable so, any injured deer that gets reported they despatch (EXCUSE THE PUN) an armed response vehicle ARV who undertake the task in hand. Apparantly the RSPCA cannot call anyone out either other than a Vet. What a nanny state it's become.

The person who passed this on to me is often called by members of the public other keepers in the area but not the old bill.

Hope this helps

Dave

Hi guys,

The reason Hampshire constabulary started a RTA scheme useing skilled and experienced stalkers was because of the Health and Safety imtlications to there officicers.
When called out by the police, you can call apone them to provide a safe working environment to achieve the safe destruction of the animal to reduce the risk to yourself and members of the public and there property, thats almost word of word from my authorisation letter.
you must have an insurace that covers you for rta's

Anthony

I think there was a thread about this a while back so it could be worth looking for it.
I think it also covered a bit on the legal side of this sort of thing, If i remember rite if you attend an RTA involving a deer a police officer can not grant you permission to discharge a firearm in a public place and you could be charged with this offence if you were to dispatch a wounded deer on the side of the road. Also if you were to drag the deer off the highway to dispatch it then you would require permission from the relevent landowner to dispatch it on his land or you could face a charge of armed tresspass :eek:
You may find out this is the reason why the police dont hold a register anymore :eek:
Fester

Thanks all - I did do a search for info on this and came up with nothing, so if someone can point me in the right direction...?

RTA Call out

Reference RTA Callouts.

I am a Member of the Lincolnshire Deer Group and the group operate a RTA Callout for the humane dispatch of animals. This can be by Rifle, Shotgun, Section 5 Handgun (Revolver / Pistol) or Knife.

The Lincolnshire Police and the RSPCA both use the members of the LDG to deal with incidents not only of deer but for almost any animal injured as the result of an RTA. I don't know how other Members of this forum are called upon to deal with RTAs, but will describe how the LDG system works.

The LDG have 14 Field Officers, one of these holds the LDG pager.
When a call is received from Police or RSPCA full details are obtained, plus an incident no, in the case of the Police, or report number in the case of the RSPCA. The Field Officer then checks to see who the nearest RTA responder is. This person is then called and asked to attend, if the closest is not able to attend then the nearest after that is called. The field officer maintains regular contact with the responder to seek an update. Once the incident has been dealt with inform the Police and or RSPCA. The field officer also calls the local Environmental Health Dept to arrange for the removal of the carcass.
A report is also forward to www.deercollisons.co.uk

You must have an insurance that covers you for attendance at RTA's. There must also be an entry on your Firearms Licence for you to use the weapons for the humane dispatch of animals.

75 said:
Does anyone have any experience of dealing with the RSPCA under such circumstances?
The reason that the RSPCA don't automatically handle RTA callouts is simply that there are nowhere near enough inspectors trained & equipped to do the job.
The Hampshire Constabulary system relies on maps marked with the homes of people on their scheme held in control rooms - when an incident occurs, they just call on the closest person. It's a pity more police forces don't so the same as it's a simple system that works well. I think that Wiltshire do something similar.

Back