Dog for Deer.

Moe 243

Hi, Getting a new pup in the new year, want to train it for finding deer any advice welcome.
Thanks,
Alex..

Read Nels Sondergras's book or one of the other good deer for dogs book before you take the plunge. It will help you weigh up exactly what it is you want from the dog and what breed is going to be best for you.

Dave

devilishdave said:
Read Nels Sondergras's book or one of the other good deer for dogs book before you take the plunge. It will help you weigh up exactly what it is you want from the dog and what breed is going to be best for you.

Dave

Good advise, if you ask on here you will get everybody trying to convince you that their particular breed, cross breed mongrel is the only dog for deer, when they are all wrong because this breed is best. :evil:
Igg1-1.jpg

P1010081.jpg

Seriously read the book, work out what species of deer you usually stalk and in what terrain, will it be required to indicate (point) unseen deer or will it be just a tracking dog? Will the dog be used for other work? driven shooting, duck flighting, rough shooting, taking foxes under the lamp. Or just for deer.

Once you know what you want from your dog you will have narrowed your choice to maybe 2 breeds.

ATB

Tahr

Try one of these if it's your first :D a good one will do all the thing that THAR mentions :D
DSC00063.jpg

Nell

Kev
nice looking bitch ;)
reckon we should hav a SD miss dog world
as i hav a Lab that is well in the running :evil:
as for choice of dogs
again that is horses for courses ;)

boy blunder said:
stone said:
feck Duncs, if you enter yours i am in 2nd place already :evil: :evil:
cheeky git :lol:
Your back in first place cause the labs not his is it? he has got a proper one :lol: :lol:
now , now
if we are talking technicallities
who lets it out for walkies, who scoops the poop and who dress's it ;)
sure i must be back in 2nd place now :lol:
Proper dog , where did that come from, are we talking about the dog that is the boss or the GWP :lol: :lol:
ps
merry Xmas Deano hope it was a good one

now , now
if we are talking technicallities
who lets it out for walkies, who scoops the poop and who dress's it
sure i must be back in 2nd place now
Proper dog , where did that come from, are we talking about the dog that is the boss or the GWP
ps
merry Xmas Deano hope it was a good one

sorry to **** on your apples mate ....but see you admit it...2nd place :lol:
Merry xmas to you to

stone said:
Kev
nice looking bitch ;)

Thanks Stone, she meets all the German breed standards although is only just inside the Max' hight at the shoulder for a bitch, no bad thing for Deer dog. She has been known to retrieve roe, although I don’t encourage it.

I think Nells dog has had a too much chrismas pudding. :lol: I am looking forward to seeing Dunc's new dog simlar breeding to mine.

As you say horses for courses and a dog should reflect the owner's the personality.

ATB

Tahr

Thar said:
stone said:
Kev
nice looking bitch ;)

Thanks Stone, she meets all the German breed standards although is only just inside the Max' hight at the shoulder for a bitch, no bad thing for Deer dog. She has been known to retrieve roe, although I don’t encourage it.

I think Nells dog has had a too much chrismas pudding. :lol: I am looking forward to seeing Dunc's new dog simlar breeding to mine.

As you say horses for courses and a dog should reflect the owner's the personality.

ATB

Tahr

:lol: :lol: Thar I also kept lurchers many years ago :lol:

What cross is yours??? :lol:

Can it still turn ok havin lost its tail??? :lol:

Nell :lol: :lol:

Hi Nell, glad you can have a jest. :D

nell said:
:lol: :lol: Thar I also kept lurchers many years ago :lol:
What cross is yours??? :lol:

Can it still turn ok havin lost its tail??? :lol:
Nell :lol: :lol:

My “Lurcher” is a Drahthaar or GWP, originally a cross of Stichelhaars, Griffons, Pudel pointer and shorthairs, before they became a recognized breed in 1870s.

It turns well enough and is fast enough over any terrain to catch any deer that has a bullet in it, if it has no bullet in it I am not interested.

Nell there are not many deer with that Lab’ if you had a “lurcher” you could of got twice that many. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DSCF0031.jpg

Jesting aside a Lab’ is a excellent choice of deer dogs for a lot of stalkers, but they are not for me, I like a dog that has a bit more character, and can keep up with me on a hill run. ;)

ATB

Tahr

Thats a fair haul you have there TAHR.
I have a funny feeling your dog was maybe bred or is related to a kennel just up the road from me at DODBURN???is it trudvang???

Here's my boring old lab in action :lol

DSC00061.jpg

A good morning :)
Ettrickhall221207.jpg

Nell

nell said:
I have a funny feeling your dog was maybe bred or is related to a kennel just up the road from me at DODBURN???is it trudvang???

The sire to my dog came from Chris Gray (Trudvang) the btch came from Rory major.

Here he is at 7 months playing in the snow.
DSC00046.jpg

Small world - our GWP bitch was sired by one of Chris Gray's dogs, from one of Rory Major's bitches! Still a six-month old hooligan!

Andrew

Jesus you buggers with dogs are a greedy bunch :lol: :lol:

Between three and eight for a mornings work.. :eek: :D

I have to do 4000 miles in the old Ranger to get a bag like that and atleast eight brekkies..

No wonder im turning into a fat get :oops:

Terry

deer man said:
The sire to my dog came from Chris Gray (Trudvang) the btch came from Rory major.

Here he is at 7 months playing in the snow.
DSC00046.jpg

Rory Major - top man. Been very helpful to my wife Lynn with our Brittany, Rowan. I stalk over a Griffon, Hector, out of the Ryford Chase pack.

KevinF.

Back