Rifle change

monynut

l am thinking of changing the 243 for a 6.5x55 is this a wise move, l mainly stalk roe and munties but also take the odd fallow and red.
As far as manufacturer is concerned l am thinking of maybe a sako the 85 model or mannlicher, l have a 308 in sako and love it but have no experience of the 85’s, what is the general opinion of these makes and models.
l will be reloading the new calibre so what would be the best brew to cover the spectrum of what l stalk.

Hi Monynut,
You know what is going to happen now don't you! So before the arguement gets going, can I say that I have a 243 and a 308 my next rifle will be a 6.5x55. I really regret getting rid of my old Swede. I have promised myself that if I get my new job I will treat myself to a T3 Tikka Varmint in 6.5x55. I can't wait! :D

Sako 75 vs 85

Other than different magazine release, and no silly key lock system, the main difference is the shape of the stock, and that is down to personal choice. There is no monte carlo stock on the 85 and this may present slight problems. I personally prefer the stock of the 75.

An interesting point is that the recoil felt on a 30-06 75 SS is less than on a 30-06 85 SS, when a mate of mine bought an 85. But this should make little difference on a 6.5x55 (my 2nd deer calibre).

I chopped my Ruger 308 in for a Mannlicher ProHunter SS in 6.5. Great piece of kit, and the calibre is a revelation. Very low percieved recoil, superbly accurate...love it!

I have a 243 and a 6.5X55 and can tell you that you will not be disappointed with the 6.5. Irrespective of make the recognised fodder for a 6.5 is a 140 gr bullet and widely acknowledged as being a highly effective round. Having said that I have had great success with the Hornady 129 gr Interlock, with 45 grains of H4350, on both Roebuck and Sika Stags.

John

monynut said:
l am thinking of changing the 243 for a 6.5x55 is this a wise move, l mainly stalk roe and munties but also take the odd fallow and red.
As far as manufacturer is concerned l am thinking of maybe a sako the 85 model or mannlicher, l have a 308 in sako and love it but have no experience of the 85’s, what is the general opinion of these makes and models.
l will be reloading the new calibre so what would be the best brew to cover the spectrum of what l stalk.

Why do you want to change and what do you hope to gain from the change?
The swede fall right in between your 2 current calibres. Yet brings no distinct advantages.

DaveG said:
The swede fall right in between your 2 current calibres. Yet brings no distinct advantages.

The 243 l have is an old cz and has given me many years of good service l have shot many deer and foxes with it but the old girl is beginning to get a bit tied so a change of rifle is defiantly on the cards and to be honest l fancy a change in calibre but not to far away from the 243 so l feel a 6.5 will fit the bill.

l know that a one for one variation will cost me nothing but l am also adding another calibre to my ticket other than the 6.5 so l will have to pay for the variation anyway.

monynut said:
DaveG said:

The 243 l have is an old cz and has given me many years of good service l have shot many deer and foxes with it but the old girl is beginning to get a bit tied so a change of rifle is defiantly on the cards and to be honest l fancy a change in calibre but not to far away from the 243 so l feel a 6.5 will fit the bill.

l know that a one for one variation will cost me nothing but l am also adding another calibre to my ticket other than the 6.5 so l will have to pay for the variation anyway.

How about Sako A7 in 7mm-08? I like both T3 and M85, and A7 should be something between them.

sikamalc said:
Ahh now your talking, 25.06, is my cup of tea every time. Good flat shooting hard hitting calibre 8)

Go the whole way and just get a .270 :lol:

Ahh I have two of those, both Tikka's, although one is going to Finland to my good friend who is writing an article about the history of its use :D

I like this 25-06 talk!!

Though if you look through Gun mart and want a cheap S/H rifle .270 is the way to go there are some right bargains it must be right out of favour.

Dickie.

So tell me more about 25.06, l may be persuaded :D, not to keen on the 270 to much gun for my type of stalking, l have used them on roe before and personally l am not to struck on them.

Well Monynut. A 25.06 is a 30.06 case necked down to a 25 calibre. It is a very flat fast round, what the Americans call a Wildcat round. It is sweet to shoot, is hard hitting and to me is a very much underestimated calibre that is not as popular as the good old 308, 6.5x55. Which it will outshoot any day, (by that I mean it will not drop so quickly)

You can load up to 120g bullets, and I have used my Ruger Model 77 in black plastic and stainless in Africa and taken many animals.

Depending on what powder you use.

90 grain bullets can go out at 3481 fps.
100 grain bullets can go out at 3212 fps. I prefer H4350 at 3155 fps.
120 grian bullets can go out at 2902 fps. I prefer H4350 at 2816 fps.

But at the end of the day its the rifle itself has to fit and suit you. But you know that anyway. Good luck ;)

Dickie

I also have at the moment 2x 270 rifles, including the 270 Tikka Lite in cammo. Nice rifles, cant understand why they are not liked, still everyone has their choice.

Not many bullet weight choices with the 25.06 though is there ?

Now we are talking Wildcat rounds what about the .260 rem ?

95 gr @ 3391 fps hodgen
100 @ 2992 vhit
108 @ 2947 vhit
120 @ 2968 hodgen
139 @ 2589 vhit
140 @ 2730 hodgen
155 @ 2478 vhit

I await incomeing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

No you are right there isnt. But it only takes the one bullet in the right place ;)

I just happen to like the 25.06. ITS MY BABY and I love it 8)

Besides that last quote for the 155grain on your 260 Rem I could run faster than the fps on that, must be like waiting for god, for the bullet to strike :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only joking mate, whatever turns people on and they are used to, that is all that matters.

You are correct if you like the rifle and caliber and have confidence in both then keep at it .
I bought the 260 on advice from the two mates that i stalk with as between them they have 6.5x55,243,25.06 and 270.
I use 129 gr in my 260 , just looking in reloading manuals as if i want a 155 gr id use my .308 .

Back