Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this?

What is this?

Hello All,
    This is a picture taken of a deer that I was skinning. As you can see it has white scars running from its spine down its back, saddle and rump. I think I know what it is but I would like some 'sensible' in put as to what these scars are. I will then tell you all the type of deer and where it was shot. Good game this trust me!

Ok mate, here goes, don`t laugh Is it a female and the marks on it`s back are fat layer scars which have been formed from when it was mounted from the males front feet during the rut?

And the deer species, is it a munty?

Hi Waders,
    Its a muntjac, but it's a buck! But what are the marks? Or should I say tubes!

Is it warble fly lavae ?

Ah yes this is what I'm thinking! Warble Fly in a Warwickshire Muntjac! Its unheard of! I contacted BDS and they were very interested but require the larvae to do tests to confirm this. I didn't find any larvae and the only evidence I have is a couple of blurred photos. So its back to the drawing board! I hope to get another muntjac with the same condition and get a DEFRA vet to take a look. I just thought I'd post this incase someone else notices similar markings on their deer south of the border. Some will say that its rubbish and I'm mistaken, but then we would of all said that about Blue Tongue four years ago.
    Speaking of which there is a very good article on Blue Tongue Disease in this quarters Deer Journal by Peter Green.

Can anyone of the vet proffession tell me the best way to gather and preserve evidence of Warble Fly if I do encounter it again.

For the reasons you have said are the ones that stopped me from saying warble fly in the first place mate, south of the border on a munty.

I have got a CD rom with stacks of info on about deer diseases, I once used it to clarify Lung worm and pneumonia on a buck i shot last year. I will load it up and see if there is anything on warble fly for you. Be patient and i will let you know if i get anything.

Cheers Waders! Yes I did the same thing. I didn't want to chance my arm on wrongly identifying the markings. I suppose anything is possible, what has stopped warble fly for coming down this far before? Maybe its a foreign varitey?
    I'll get some info on the fly's life cycle and hopefully shoot a likely infested deer or two and then get the proof I need! It is exactly the same markings though as thoses I found on the two Red hinds I shot in Scotland. Even down to the gritty build up where the maggots emerged through the skin.

Thanks for your help in this matter!

Here`s a photo of warble fly lavae that I got from that cd rom. Maybe there is some similar holes on that carcasse of yours.

I will have a look for something else, but there is that much stuff on this cd, it takes ages to find owt.

Hope it helps a little mate

Thanks 300wsm and Wadas,
    Its definitely something else to consider. I didn't find any canine teeth fragments but I also didn't find and exit marks in the skin or scaring on the hide. Just these wierd white vains on the surface of the meat. I do hope I'm wrong of course as I don't fancy sharing my venison with the maggots! If I can find any similiar markings on any other muntjac I'll let you know. The beast that had these marking is the last photo I put in the trophy room. To be honest 300wsm he was a bit of a war horse! Just have a look at those ears!

Thank you both for the pictures and your imput!