Opinions on these groups

caorach

Ok, this is for a bit of a laugh and some entertainment. I will post the complete story, with pictures and dog smelling prints, later on but in the mean time would be interested in opinions on these groups. I'm not a great shot and in the field probably shoot a 3 inch group, or thereabouts, along with almost everyone else so bear than in mind.

The first is a 3 shot group, there are 2 almost into one hole:

The second, as you can see, is a 5 shot group:

Opinion?

It's perfectly good no worries there, get back in the field and put a few more in the larder!!!

Total carp!

You need to sort the rifle out c/o:

a. A professional bedding job
b. Install of a Jewel trigger
c. Changing scope for a variable that at least zooms to 24 power.
d. Secure scope meaningful c/o a set of the finest projectionless rings & mounts.
e. Take up reloading
f. Spend more time at the bench burnishing your bore.

Hope this helps and you've got deep pockets!

K

Right, now the whole amusing story, actually there are 2 stories here so try and read right to the end :)

I was out having a wee look around this morning and it rained a bit. Then it stopped raining and turned out nice. It seemed like a good time to put up a target and as I hadn't actually fired the rifle in a while it would do no harm, plus there was an experiment I wanted to carry out.

Despite being a nice day the track was a bit muddy to lie on but such is life, I just got a little wet and muddy:

So I stuck a target up:

Retired to 100 yards and shot the 3 shot group you can see in my first post. It wasn't a great group but, on the other hand, I hadn't shot the rifle for a while and as you can see from the photos the sun wasn't ideal making the target a little hard to see, however deer don't go out of their way to be easy to see so things all seemed about equal to me:

The time came to change the target and there was something I hadn't counted on:

I didn't expect the sun to come round quite so fast. What was even more amusing was that it was quite a damp morning and so every time I fired the rifle the area filled with a combination of smoke and condensation and, with no wind to remove it, what little sight I had of the target was lost for a while. So, the 2nd group was shot with only a vague idea of where the target was. I'm just glad no one was there to see me as they would have been highly amused at my vanishing in a cloud of smoke :)

However, that's not really what is remarkable about the second group, so we get to the next part of the story. As some may be aware I remain a little unconvinced about a lot of the reloading rituals people engage in and I think there is little or no evidence to show that they work, not to say that I don't engage in them myself of course. I suspect that if you have a well engineered rifle then most of the reloading rituals are balderdash and most of the differences in accuracy people see are down to their behaviour and something akin to a placebo effect. So, the second group is shot with 5 different loads - 4 different bullets and the bullet that was used twice was travelling at 2500fps in one load and 2900fps in another. There is one factory load, a book min and book max load with the same bullet, my normal deer load and also a bullet I have sitting about which I've never used but which I stuck on top of a book min load and took with me. I can't tell you what length they were, or how far from the lands, other than that they fit the magazine.

I'm pretty certain that in the case of both groups the "flier" is entirely down to my shooting and not a product of the rifle or ammo and I'm not surprised the 2nd group is bigger than the first as I could barely see the target. I fired 8 rounds and 8 rounds only today and you are getting to see all of them so there was none of this rejecting groups because of a freak gust of wind, or an eddy in the gravitational constant or whatever - it is all there for you to see.

Just remember that experiments, and the evidence of others, indicates that most stalkers (including myself) shoot a 3 inch group when they don't get to pick and choose the photos they put on the internet. So, that 2nd group is probably about average for an average deer stalker on an average day.

Can carefully selecting ammo make a difference for the target shooter? I'd say more than likely. Does it, within reason, make much difference for the deer stalker with a well engineered rifle? Probably not unless you elect to use ammo patently unsuited for the job.

Ok, this is for a bit of a laugh and some entertainment. I will post the complete story, with pictures and dog smelling prints, later on but in the mean time would be interested in opinions on these groups. I'm not a great shot and in the field probably shoot a 3 inch group, or thereabouts, along with almost everyone else so bear than in mind.

I take it these were done at 500yds ?:rofl:

can i ask what rifle please? ,dont listen to poo poo ers there just jealous because you were out side while they were still in there sheltered accomodation with there carers,:rofl: klenchies miffed because it wasnt a hornet ,:lol:

Last edited:
what a beautiful place to test your groups.very nice .i could just sit there for a while quiet happy.

Last edited:
can i ask what rifle please ,dont listen to poo poo ers there just jealous because you were out side while they were still in there sheltered accomodation with there carers,:rofl: klenchies miffed because it wasnt a hornet ,:lol:

The rifle is a Blaser R93.

Don't worry, I don't listen to them :)

The rifle is a Blaser R93.

My experience with the Blaser R93 & R8 is that you can expect tight groups with factory ammo, although mine does not like Sako 100grn. There are other advantages to reloading apart from accuracy, not least of which is that you can make what the local suppliers don't stock.

atb Tim

Seems to be a common thing, mine was the same pretty much, an book load with a bullet from 55 to 95 grain in the same hole, or very close to.

I should have taken the rifle apart between each shot as well, just to add to the laugh :) My bet is the group would have been the same because the size of the group is largely dictated by the person doing the shooting. I do have a 7 shot group somewhere where I took the rifle apart in the middle of shooting it, it is about the size of the first group I posted here from what I recall.

Maybe we should re-run the black dot of doom fun shoot but your 3 shot group has to be made up of 3 different loads?

Nice tidy groups lad......:thumb:

Hi
Your group's are ok.

But would not say "shooting range" is ok!

You might be in the middle of nowhere but you could get a surprise some day! and one you do not want.
I am surprise nobody has pointed this out.

Don't want to be a spoil sport, just trying to help.
ATB
Wullie.

Looks like the dead end of a long road, with impenetrable forest on either side, an earth bank behind and rising slope behind that.
No offence Willie.
Bob

I recently shot a mix of reloads through my .223, just some rounds I had left over from various trials. They shot an inch and a little from my custom Howa. The regular loads, however, shoot about a quarter inch at the same distance. Need a quarter inch for deer? I agree: Nope.~Muir

Personally I'd expect nothing less from a blaser, just think what your groups would be like if you weren't a 3 incher :D

Back