2.5 vs 3.0ltr Mk6 Hilux - Experience, Pros/Cons?

TASR12

Does any one have any experience of the 2.5ltr Hiluxes vs the 3.0ltr versions? I won't be towing much, and only very occasionally, so although I would prefer the 3.0 there are more 2.5s kicking around in the right price bracket. I'm probably looking for an 05-08 plate realistically with as few miles as possible, although that isn't common.

it will be for general use, stalking, shooting (when work permits) and occasional family use.

Apologies that it's not strictly a firearms issue but this seems the best area to post the question?!

Cheers,

T.

I'm sure I read a comment by someone in a thread recently mentioning corrosion on 2.5 models. Apart from that I remember the keeper I bought my cocker from saying he wished he'd gotten a 3.0 for the extra poke.
Seems there's a lot more 3.0 Invincibles around than anything else, maybe because many of them are bought as combined business/family vehicles.

Last edited:
Mate of mine has recently bought a 2.5l one.

Says it is fine once it is trundling but does feel a little lacking in grunt and does wonder if he should have gone for the 3l instead.

my brother in law has the 3.0l
Toyota dealer tried to get him to part ex for a new 2.5l

test drove it and laughed in his face

needs more grunt than that to be useful IMO

I'm sure I read a comment by someone in a thread recently mentioning corrosion on 2.5 models. Apart from that I remember the keeper I bought my cocker from saying he wished he'd gotten a 3.0 for the extra poke.
Seems there's a lot more 3.0 Invincibles around than anything else, maybe because many of them are bought as combined business/family vehicles.

Pick up a good 3L plenty more poke and not too bad on fuel
DJC

Thanks for the information. Confirmed my thoughts and now makes the search simpler but harder! The Defender is running well so it's a waiting game....

Cheers,

Tom.

can't do the hilux but on the ford ranger the 3lt is better at pulling the same moter and at lower Rpm's and is better on fuel than my old 2.5 and is cheaper to tax

Paul,

Rangers aren't bad, and you get more for your money (apart from mileage!), but there's no denying the reliability of a Toyota. We will see what the budget manages!

Cheers,

Tom.

i have had the hilux for a number of years and normally replace them at 3 years , the one i have now and my previous one are both 3 litres and i can't really fault them , the difference between 3 and 2.5 litres is very noticeable power wise which you would expect with a bigger engine but the fuel economy is very similar , i am due to replace mine in a couple of months and will have the 3 litre again without a doubt
good luck with your search
regards andy

can't do the hilux but on the ford ranger the 3lt is better at pulling the same moter and at lower Rpm's and is better on fuel than my old 2.5 and is cheaper to tax
I have the ranger 3.2 version and it pulls better than the 2.5 I have had both and the fuel economy between the two is nothing.

Isuzu Rodeo is probably the only other 3.0ltr in a similar bracket. A quick search has revealed a few for reasonable money although it's the only one I haven't had experience of. The new Dmax gets good feedback, I'm not so sure about the 06-08 models. More research required.

Back