Club Rifles.

8x57

Distinguished Member
We have decided to replace a couple of the rifle club rifles with rifles better suited to the present needs of the club as the nature of the club’s activities has changed over the years. Both rifles will be used mainly by new shooters some of whom may be ladies or youths so weigh and size is very much a consideration.

The first rifle that we are thinking of replacing is a .22 target rifle. What we would like is a mid weight bolt action rifle that can be fitted with either target sights or a telescope sight. It should be magazine fed (5 round) with the alternative option of feeding from a magazine blanking/loading plate for single shot use. The rifle should have a fairly conventional stock that could possibly be used by left handed shooters in addition to right handed shooters. I know that in the past companies such as BSA, Brno and Anschutz (model 64 multipurpose) produced such rifles but can’t think of any such rifles in current production.

The second rifle that we are thinking of replacing is a 7.62mm target rifle which we intend to replace with a bolt action .223 rifle. Once again the rifle will have a mid weight barrel and the option for either open target sights or a scope. This one should have a five round mag and a conventional stock. Something the likes a Howa comes to mind, unfortunately no such thing is made as far as I know. A synthetic stock would possibly be preferable but is not essential.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where we may obtain such rifles or know where a model 64 multipurpose Anschutz may be for sale, or will it be a matter of having such rifles made/adapted for club use?

Who knows perhaps some enterprising rifle maker might like to join us in reinventing such rifles and name them the Monmouth Clubman range or the ********* clubman range.

Last edited:
Maybe a bolt action rimfire Ruger? Certainly it'll come with iron sights, has its own integral mounts for Ruger rings to attach too and I guess that the detachable magazine could with maybe a hole and peg be "blocked" to allow only one round to be inserted?

Certainly a conventional box magazine with a follower that goes up and down can be so modified. As is done for Walther and other pistols for humane slaughter. Just drill (under the follower) a hole from side to side and insert a rod across that is guled or brazed into pistion.

Again for the centrefire maybe a Ruger? Again the integral mount, when used with the Ruger rings may commend itself?

We're not looking for rifles with just open sights but for rifles that can take dioptre target sights.

With regard to the .22 rifle I would much prefer a heavy barrel CZ to a Ruger, a modified 20" varmint comes to mind. Like you say if necessary modifying a magazine would be one option but I would much rather we could buy an existing system.

Last edited:
There are 3 secondhand Match 64 on Guntrader, and a few on Gunstar - (nightmare to navigate the new, ahem "improved" system though!)

Thanks Farticus but it's the model 64 multi purpose that we would be interested in which takes a fire round magazine and not the single shot match 64.

Thanks Farticus but it's the model 64 multi purpose that we would be interested in which takes a fire round magazine and not the single shot match 64.

Ah... I'll have another mooch around then - shows that reading the brief correctly the first time is an advantage!

This is the sort of .22 rifle that I was looking for.

18874_800_600.jpg

Back