Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rangefinders - How many stalkers actually use them?

Rangefinders - How many stalkers actually use them?

I have been reading the threads here with interest and there are clearly lots of differing opinions on which are the best bits of kit for various scenarios. Since I am relatively new to the subject and don't have much contact with other stalkers, I would like to know how many stalkers actually use rangefinders in the field (i.e. not for sighting in a scope etc.). Is is a majority, minority or 50%?

Thanks for your input.

Mine are integral to my binos, so are used constantly...
    Sako 75 6.5x55 - Z6i 3-18x50. Sako 75 .308 Habicht 2.5-10x56. Beretta 690. Benelli M2.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

I shoot on a couple of farms which I know well so I used the rangefinder initially to check distances but not now.
    When I set up the gun to check the zero in a field on one of the farms I use the range finder to check that 100 paces is 94 metres or 100 yards for the target.
    They are useful for me but of more use on unfamiliar ground.

If I am on new ground I always use my rangefinder to mark distances, particulalrly when using a high seat. I know that a particular tree is 150 metres or a bush 200 etc.
    I can then gauge distance more effectively when a target appears.
    If a wolf can take down a deer from either flank, does that make him bambidextrous?

If one wants to put a bullet somewhere in an animal then guessing the distance is fine.
    if you want to place a bullet in a certain spot, then a rangefinder is a vital part of your gear.
    For short range heavy cover stalking I wouldn't take a rangefinder along, however any open field or
    forest edge stalking/varminting I'd have a rangefinder and drop chart along.

I would'nt be without mine takes the guesswork out.
    Not to say I don't try and "eyeball" the range every now
    and then to keep the hand in !

"let him without sin cast the first stone"

As all of the above takes the guess work out of new ground

I use mine a lot but they are built into binos so easy, managed for years without them but really found the advantage is when taking longer shots.

Leica Geovids with built in rangefinder, I use the rangefinder facility very often (except when I was doing my upgrade in a certain club - part of which involves estimating range - they were whipped off me even before I took the first step towards the high seat)

They are useful for taking long shots no doubt but don't think they are a necessity for stalking, in a woodland setting most of your shots will be at a shortish range even on the open hill most shots will be under 150 yards out to maximum of around 200.

As a pro stalker being able to estimate distance was part of learning your kraft, and its not too difficult at normal stalking distances.

However if using a range finder gives you more confidence go for it.