Roe sacks,carrying fallow deer

griffshrek

Hi all

i am after a bit of advice in the sack depatment, the permission i have is 99% fallow deer so need a better means of extraction than dragging (at mo cant afford quad etc)so are the large roe sacks (will take 2 roe on advert) capable of this and if yes what is the best one to get , i get one two deer a month if lucky.

regards.............neil

The Sika sacks made by Wrights of Huntley as used by most of the FC stalkers will definitely accommodate a fallow does and pricketts or a decent mature buck if split in half. They are exceptionally well made and spacious and are the best deer sack you can buy. Far better than these crappy continental sacks currently flooding the market. IMO

I've had mine for over 10 years, used it virtually every week and have never found anything better.

My recommendation is the Harkila sack.

Truly excellent construction - will carry 140lb of Sika without popping any stiching.

Very comfortable, padded back plate makes for a comfy seat when you decide to wait.

IMAGE_013.jpg

Compression straps make the sack fold down to daypack size for your initial stalking - means that it does not catch on foliage while moving through tight cover.

Roesaccomparison.jpg

Cheap. which is unusual for Harkila kit. Well, great value at between £60-75.

After owning a load of sacks over the years - this is the one that ticks the boxes.

Rgds

Ian :)

Ian

I had a look at the Harkila sack at the Scone Game Fair. I've never been a fan of plastic buckles having found they break sooner or later or nylon webbing. So declined to purchase one despite its innovative fold up design. I find a double loop of retired 9mm climbing rope achieves the same effect with my Wrights sack should I feel the need. I then use the rope for hanging the deer on a convenient tree or post before and after the gralloch.

Presumably you've tried the sack with a 140lb load hence your comments about it standing the test. I wonder how many stalkers could actually get off their knees with a 140lb load in that sack as it hangs down rather low, let alone hump the load a few miles to get the beast extracted.

My American and Canadian chums who all hump far larger loads out of the woods on a regular basis than us Brits would dream of, do so using framed sacks

I have just bought one of the Harkila's what sold it to me was the amount of FC rangers that use them.

The desciption given to me by one of the head rangers about the Huntly sacks is that once you have used one you wil realise they were obously designed by someone who had never seen a deer never mind tried to carry one off the hill. :lol:

Stand Buck said:
The desciption given to me by one of the head rangers about the Huntly sacks is that once you have used one you wil realise they were obously designed by someone who had never seen a deer never mind tried to carry one off the hill. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I mention that to the guys I know who have been using them in prefernce to anything else for the last 15 years.

The lads involved in the preproduction design tests were the lads off the Economic Forestry team. IIRC pretty sure the lads with Tilhill use/used them also. I would suspect between them they have carried more deer out of places than most anybody around. Certainly on here :p

I hope you get plenty of use out of you chosen sack. I know I have mine over the last 10 years. Buy once and buy the best , for me that would still be the Wrights of Huntley Sika sack. Even if they are twice the price of a continental import;)

Hi Neil
this is what i now use
a sika sack, can quite easily take 2 Roe or a Fallow /Sika i also reckon a Red hind would fit ;)
using a couple of Roe for the demo as the Fallow weren't playing ball :)

DSCN0561.jpg

also has a washable and removeable liner
1st Roe
DSCN0564.jpg

2nd Roe
DSCN0567.jpg

tie it up
DSCN0569.jpg

and place in sack, as you can see still plenty of room ;)
DSCN0571.jpg

then just walk out with the spoils of the day
DSCN0573.jpg

DSCN0575.jpg

Regards

JCon said:
Ian

I had a look at the Harkila sack at the Scone Game Fair. I've never been a fan of plastic buckles having found they break sooner or later or nylon webbing. So declined to purchase one despite its innovative fold up design. I find a double loop of retired 9mm climbing rope achieves the same effect with my Wrights sack should I feel the need. I then use the rope for hanging the deer on a convenient tree or post before and after the gralloch.

Presumably you've tried the sack with a 140lb load hence your comments about it standing the test. I wonder how many stalkers could actually get off their knees with a 140lb load in that sack as it hangs down rather low, let alone hump the load a few miles to get the beast extracted.

My American and Canadian chums who all hump far larger loads out of the woods on a regular basis than us Brits would dream of, do so using framed sacks

Jcon

Yes, carried a couple Sika weighed at 140 clean.

Quite agree with your comments regarding framed sacks - I far prefer heavier loads on a pack frame. Having said that, the Harkila sack was relatively comfortable for such a trip.

packedhindMedium.jpg

No problems with the plastic clips - seem to be made of a relatively high quality plastic compared to some I have seen.

Rgds

Ian

Ian

Time, UV, and in extreme conditions cold are the main enemies of plastic clips, each one contributing equally to the plastics inevitable failure. As my crazy mountaineering and climbing pals with confirm. I admit they do have one advantage over brass buckles in that you can operate them whilst still wearing gloves.

WS - you stalking me? :)

Jcon - understand and agree with your comments. The day you appreciate the fastex style clips is the day you try and operate a buckle and soaked straps with numbed fingers, when it is cold enough to feel as though someone has replaced your paws with a bunch of bananas! Not good.

Did I mention the utility of a nicely padded 'Roe' sack - when it comes to sitting down on a frozen highseat, you have a thermal barrier to protect the family jewels from frost nip! Form AND function!

Rgds

Ian

IanF said:
WS - you stalking me? :)

Jcon - understand and agree with your comments. The day you appreciate the fastex style clips is the day you try and operate a buckle and soaked straps with numbed fingers, when it is cold enough to feel as though someone has replaced your paws with a bunch of bananas! Not good.

Did I mention the utility of a nicely padded 'Roe' sack - when it comes to sitting down on a frozen highseat, you have a thermal barrier to protect the family jewels from frost nip! Form AND function!

Rgds

Ian

Ian

No need to park your arse on your sack. I carry a couple of empty wine box bladders in one of the Wright Sika Sack pockets. You then have the pleasure of air cushion suspension. Perfection! :lol:

You also have the added pleasure of ensuring a ready supply of replacements as you stalking companions always want you to let them have a set. :D

You also have the added pleasure of ensuring a ready supply of replacements as you stalking companions always want you to let them have a set. :D[/quote]

The things we do to help out our mates! ;)

Rgds

Teckel said:
Ianf

How the hell do you get your roe sack to fold up like that.

Ron B (Teckel)

Hi Ron,

Well amongst other qualifications - I have a black belt in Origami. :)

I'll show you next time you are around these yer parts - it's a bugger to try and explain!

Rgds

Neil
managed to get a few snaps with a fallow for you ;)
just a few of the sika sack with a fallow pricket
DSCN0619.jpg

DSCN0620.jpg

DSCN0621.jpg

just so you can see it can cope
another thing i use is a Yule sack,
rolls up small enough to put in a pocket
DSCN0625.jpg

and works a bit like this, carry straps on one side
DSCN0623.jpg

size comparison next to average size Fallow pricket
DSCN0626.jpg

DSCN0628.jpg

DSCN0630.jpg

DSCN0631.jpg

the straps need a bit more adjustment to sit it higher up the back

or you could go NZ style
DSCN0603.jpg

DSCN0606.jpg

2 happy campers after an eck of a carry out
DSCN0610.jpg

the only problem is they forgot cover their arses :lol: :lol:
DSCN0618.jpg

hope this helps
ATB

Dragging aided by the use of one of the plastic drag mats would be preferable to the Yule bag or the NZ rucksac mode. Saves getting your arse soaking in blood for a start. :lol:

Back