frozen reticle?

countrryboy

merry christmas everyone, i hope everyone had a good one.

was out on christmas eve stalking, anyway long story short about 8ish in morning, been out for an 1hr was pretty cold and 8-12 inch off snow on ground. was glassing a face of 8ish year old timber mibee 800+ m away, thouht i could see 2 white rumps but not sure if deer or jist the snow on branches playing tricks on me. decided to put rifle on sticks to look throu scope and turn mag up. all seemed fine. 1 was a deer but skylined by time i got round.

about 2 hours later had rifle up again but this time the cross hairs were at 45 degrees and span round as if attached to the magnification ring. wasn't a great scope but mid range and never had any problems in the years i've had it and never lost its zero before(only a .223). the rifle wasn't dropped banged or anything else in the meantime.

any ideas wot happened. all i can think off is cold was a bit off snow on tube with bit frosted

and jist to rubb it in on long walk back to pick up walking quickly not bothered about noise really jist wanting back to pick up for lunch and other rifle (never been so glad to put my bigger rifle in) seen 1 doe and follower stood and watched them for a bit only 100 yds away and not spooked at all by my noisey approach. bloody typical emptied my rifle and took bolt out so there was no temption as couldn't be sure if zero had moved (i would be surprised if it hadn't). isn't stalking great they never stand like that when u want them too. never mind always there for next time thou

countrryboy said:
merry christmas everyone, i hope everyone had a good one.
about 2 hours later had rifle up again but this time the cross hairs were at 45 degrees and span round as if attached to the magnification ring. wasn't a great scope but mid range and never had any problems in the years i've had it and never lost its zero before(only a .223). the rifle wasn't dropped banged or anything else in the meantime.

I have had this happen on a cheap air rifle scope, this was at normal ambient temperatures, so it might not be down to the low temp’s.

ATB

Tahr

Bought a Zeiss Diatal-ZA cheap in France last year. Cheap because "over there" it is a common practice to use araldite (!!!) on the rings. No know solvent can remove the araldite.

So they suggested answer is to freeze the 'scope and hope the araldite flakes off.

So I put the thing in the freezer for two whole days. Bought it out into a wram room and out of interest wiped the ice off the lenses. Image was perfect! So it does show Zeiss quality.

Also it showed araldite quality too...that didn't flake off...so sold the 'scope with it still on at auction.

Better than my bl**dy Zeiss scope had some right grief with it an adverse temperature, lost a really nice Doe the other week when it screwed up in Scotland, mind you it felt like I was lying in a big freezer at the time :lol:

Back