Thread: Bark removal

Bark removal

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	279.6 KB 
ID:	37863

I cut cut this stick today as I thought it'd make a nice short walking stick due to the unique spiral make up of the stick. If like to remove the bark to show the wood underneath an then give a few coats of oil. What I'd like to know is will it be easier/best for the wood if I remove the bark now while the wood is still green or dry it first and then try and remove it?

also if anyone has a piece of antler going to use for a handle that they're willing to post for a few quid or a do action to charity I'd be pleased as I've not got anything suitable at the moment.

Thanks in advance guys.

have you thought about lightly rubbing it down with sandpaper to remove the rough bark and then varnishing? You will then get the different colours come out in the bark.

I have made a few sticks and scrape the bark off using a sharp stiff blade. Not had one with a twist but think I would scrape it the same way.

Good luck with a piece of antler as I am sure there is a bit sitting in a draw ready for posting...

Sandpaper & wirewool as per post #2. Peeling around the sprial lips will be a pain and will look none too good either.

Cheers guys I had thought of leaving the bark on but thought it would look nice with it removed. I think it will look better with the bark gone but that's only if I can remove it completely and carefully which I'm not sure I can after closer inspection.

Judging by te number of views I reckon most people thought this was way more deer related;-)

put it away until summer then have a look cracking stick by the way .

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    Judging by te number of views I reckon most people thought this was way more deer related;-)
    You’d be surprised. Stick hunting is for all those times when you can’t take a rifle with you on a woodland walk and is the best justification I know for packing a large knife should you be required to explain such behaviour!

In fact I now have a fanny pack dedicated to just this task and which includes folding saw, pruning shears, knife and leather gloves.

Hi Nun i have found that a jet wash works ok when they are fresh but when they have dryed out it is normally a question of smoothing down then varnishing or oiling, i also found that dipping the ends in wax stops them drying to quick and cracking but you are dealing with nature here so nothing is ever guaranteed. atb

snap just got a new thumb stick from Lincoln that kept calling me from the high seat last week now happy in the shed to dry out lol i keep a set of pruning shears for all manner of thing in the small back pack

Hiya I've been reliably informed leave the stick in your garden give it a couple of months may be less with all this rain and then the bark should just peel off , I sure I've got a bit of antler for you or even a roe lower leg and foot set in a crooked shape PM me your email il send you pics if you want bazil