custom built or customized

WGAS?

Define "off the shelf"..... all screws and pins made by hand? Ah, no - because the metal stock would be 'off the shelf'. So all you custom rifle makers would have to be producing your own steel for it to be truly 'custom'. Would that entail just smelting the ore - can't do that, cos the ore would be 'off the shelf' - so would you actually have to dig it out of the ground? That brings us to the theological debate of how the planet was created - big bang, define intervention or possibly it's 'off the shelf'? Seems to me that the only way you can get a truly custom job is to have it built by God. There's a thought - is Steve Bowers God? :idea:

I'm getting a bit lost with this...

1. Sako 75 6.5x55mm. Original action, stock & barrel ie the rifle out of the box... Additional sling, mod, bipod, scope, scope mounts and rings, cheek piece.

2. 6.5x47mm. Bolt/action from Sako 75 .22-250, new (any manufacturer) Varmint profile barrel as not a Sako standard item, synthetic Sporter stock binned and replaced with Laminated Varmint Sako 75 stock. Threaded with thread protector. Additional scope, scope mounts and rings.

Which is customised, which is a custom build? Are either of them customised OR custom built??

Is 1. Customised as I have taken the original spec, and added to make my own? ie ALL of us have customised rifles to some extent or another

Is 2. Custom Built as I have junked most of the original parts and replaced them to produce my own "bespoke" spec?

In the great scheme of things, does it really matter? Probably not, but thought I'd ask anyway

Seems to me that the only way you can get a truly custom job is to have it built by God.

To paraphrase Captain Kirk, "What does God need with a rifle?" (I think he meant "need a rifle for", but Star Trek was never that precise with grammar). I mean if you can create an animal, presumably you can just do the opposite too.

1. factory rifle
2. semi custom-ized...re-barrelled and re-stocked...but not 'really' fully customized...ie. not a lot of 'accurizing' such as trigger work, glass/pillar bedding, trueing, blue printing

I'm getting a bit lost with this...

1. Sako 75 6.5x55mm. Original action, stock & barrel ie the rifle out of the box... Additional sling, mod, bipod, scope, scope mounts and rings, cheek piece.

2. 6.5x47mm. Bolt/action from Sako 75 .22-250, new (any manufacturer) Varmint profile barrel as not a Sako standard item, synthetic Sporter stock binned and replaced with Laminated Varmint Sako 75 stock. Threaded with thread protector. Additional scope, scope mounts and rings.

Which is customised, which is a custom build? Are either of them customised OR custom built??

Is 1. Customised as I have taken the original spec, and added to make my own? ie ALL of us have customised rifles to some extent or another

Is 2. Custom Built as I have junked most of the original parts and replaced them to produce my own "bespoke" spec?

In the great scheme of things, does it really matter? Probably not, but thought I'd ask anyway

I think its quire simple, give your favourite rifle to a smith and ask him to work it over to how you want it, is "customised"
Ask the smith to build from scratch to your spec, that is "custom" but does not neccessarily need to have a custom action.

Ian.

2. semi custom-ized...re-barrelled and re-stocked...but not 'really' fully customized...ie. not a lot of 'accurizing' such as trigger work, glass/pillar bedding, trueing, blue printing

Ah, good point...

2. Will be pillar bedded and the trigger "breathed on".

No idea what "trueing" or "blue printing" even mean!! :coat:

I think we are getting the hang of it now,

i have 2 customized rifles full stop.

bob.

Ah, good point...

2. Will be pillar bedded and the trigger "breathed on".

No idea what "trueing" or "blue printing" even mean!! :coat:

i love this Ian

another way of asking for more money, or am i just being a scotsman at heart

bob.

So most of us have an off the shelf rifle that we have hacked about till we like it :lol:
(or paid somebody to do the hacking)

Neil. :)

Back