custom built or customized

bobjs

having been pulled up RE: saying my rifle was a custom rifle a while ago and following on from a discussion i had today with a gun smith i though this could open a good discussion on the matter.

PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT TO HEART......its a bit of fun afterall.

ps: im not miffed/or cheesed off i just felt like asking the members what they think thier bit of kit would be classed under.

1, verb
  • To customize is defined as to make or change something to personal or unique specifications.
    An example of customize is to have your car modified with leather seats, a top of the line sound system and glowing lights.

or

[h=2]custom-built[/h][h=3]Definitions[/h][h=4]adjective[/h]
    • (of cars, houses, etc) made according to the specifications of an individual buyer

so where does your rifle fit ?

bob.

So, factory rifle... 2 inches off the barrel, re-crowned and screwcut and factory trigger lightened...... Customized? :confused:

Unless your rifle is a prototype you could argue they're all customised rather than custom built. Any rifle is after all just a load of mass produced components put together by someone with the know how.

Custom sounds better though :)

Im having a precision rifle built, using high end components and with my own barrel profile, i do hope nobody refers to it as customized....

now thats better,

we are getting to the point that i made,

be it wrong or right i said the following in the argument.

custom means as stated above,

so there should not be any component part that is out of a box IE: A factory mass produced item.

to include.

action & bolt
barrel
stock
trigger mechanism
magazine etc

so if any of these are off the shelf as in not custom built to the customers requirement and are mass produced ............................................i said the rifle (anything) can not be truly a custom built unit.

boy did this go down well with a shooting buddies new 'CUSTOMIZED' rifle,

mind Bob,

there are many beautiful custom built rifles based on commmercial and military mauser actions, springfields, etc. built from the action up to the customers specifications..that's fully custom built for sure, despite being mass manufactured actions, barrels, etc. of course.

I think the difference is...custom built, is 'built', from scratch/pile of components, to a customers desires and ergonomic requirements,...customized is taking a rifle that's already put together, and making minor changes to 'tune' it.

mind Bob,

there are many beautiful custom built rifles based on commercial and military mauser actions, springfields, etc. built from the action up to the customers specifications..that's fully custom built for sure, despite being mass manufactured actions, barrels, etc. of course.

I think the difference is...custom built, is 'built', from scratch/pile of components, to a customers desires and ergonomic requirements,...customized is taking a rifle that's already put together, and making minor changes to 'tune' it.

Hi PKL.

I know what you mean and as i have been picked up on this on this very forum it has rung true,

custom means as you say. but the definition means a darn site more ;)

customized is what most of us have,
including me and my shooting buddy whos still miffed as we speak (well type )

bob.

ok, if custom built...You sure about that? How many measurements were taken of your body structure/ergonomics before the stock design was selected and the stocker began carving it out? Just wondering if the LOP, LOS, drop at heel/comb, grip angle, grip thickness and width of forend were taken into account..or was it a standard stock shape?

What checkering pattern did you go for?

cross bolts, how many, what style, what end caps?

what comb was chosen?

Did you get full wood, rosewood, ebony? Rounded forend, schnable, angled back?, steel grip cap, or wood? Engraved? Blued?

Did you go for a recoil pad? Colour?

Steel buttplate? Niedner style, M70 style (toe nip), silvers? Leather covered? What shape to the pad?...or skeleton with checkering?

What wood did you pick? From what region?

What finish on the stock, oil? Varnish?

Which sling swivels were selected, normal studs? Inlaid?

Did you have melded front rails, re-inforced wrist, fully bedded barrel channel?

Or,,,was it/they provided with a ‘fixed’ stock offering...

Now ask,,,is it custom built?...or is it a "fully customized":D

ok, if custom built...You sure about that? How many measurements were taken of your body structure/ergonomics before the stock design was selected and the stocker began carving it out? Just wondering if the LOP, LOS, drop at heel/comb, grip angle, grip thickness and width of forend were taken into account..or was it a standard stock shape?

What checkering pattern did you go for?

cross bolts, how many, what style, what end caps?

what comb was chosen?

Did you get full wood, rosewood, ebony? Rounded forend, schnable, angled back?, steel grip cap, or wood? Engraved? Blued?

Did you go for a recoil pad? Colour?

Steel buttplate? Niedner style, M70 style (toe nip), silvers? Leather covered? What shape to the pad?...or skeleton with checkering?

What wood did you pick? From what region?

What finish on the stock, oil? Varnish?

Which sling swivels were selected, normal studs? Inlaid?

Did you have melded front rails, re-inforced wrist, fully bedded barrel channel?

Or,,,was it/they provided with a ‘fixed’ stock offering...

Now ask,,,is it custom built?...or is it a "fully customized":D

yes is the answer to all of the above stock selected and carved from scratch
to my measurements and about five check sessions to allow for a perfect fit
regards pete

I prefer the good old British term of bespoke rather than the American term of customise. :british::lol:

Now just for the sake of discussion if you replaced the tyres on your car because they had worn out with some make other than those originally fitted by the car manufacturer, would you describe the car as customised. I think not.
But if you re-barreled a worn out barrel on a rifle would you say that the rifle was customised. :stir:

Back