Urban fox control with an air rifle

Bad news always sells papers
,I dont really take any notice of paper talk,especially when the statement says with an air rifle :doh:

It doesn't look very much like an air rifle to me.
In fact there was a programme on the television a while ago about a guy doing exactly as he is reported to be doing and he was useing a .22rf.

In fact there was a programme on the television a while ago about a guy doing exactly as he is reported to be doing and he was useing a .22rf.

I've shot a fox with an air rifle. It was obviously wounded or sick as it was struggling to walk. I got to within 10 yards and put a .177 pellet straight into its head from a sub 12 ft/lb BSA Supersport. It went straight down. I followed up with 2 more to make sure. One of the point blank shots actually exited through the bottom of its jaw.

Not saying its the correct tool but can be done at close range.

I've shot a fox with an air rifle. It was obviously wounded or sick as it was struggling to walk. I got to within 10 yards and put a .177 pellet straight into its head from a sub 12 ft/lb BSA Supersport. It went straight down. I followed up with 2 more to make sure. One of the point blank shots actually exited through the bottom of its jaw.

Not saying its the correct tool but can be done at close range.

A Theoben Eliminator from an upstairs window into top of skull works well too, apparently

Pete

I didn't imply that an air rifle couldn't do the job in capable hands under the correct conditions.
It actually looked as if he was using a more suitable tool for the job than an air rifle, ie a .22rf.

Last edited:
Knob. Definitely not the first person to be doing this.

Re his rate what do you lot think is a fair amount to be sat in a built up area all night to try and shoot a fox that you then have to dispose of?

Funny how wandering around the woods for 3 hours with a client justifies £100+ but sitting in the dark for 8 hours taking a risky shot isn't worth anything.

Just to throw a spanner in the works

Is an air rifle a bona fide fox dispatch weapon ?????? Irrespective FAC or not

Around these parts to dispatch foxes using a .22 LR the norm is to have the (to dispatch in live catch traps and or short range dispatch of foxes) on your FAC certificate

just a thought

phil

Agreed, that does not look like an air rifle to me either...

Around these parts to dispatch foxes using a .22 LR the norm is to have the (to dispatch in live catch traps and or short range dispatch of foxes) on your FAC certificate

just a thought

phil

Had this discussion with my feo a while back. I originally had a slot for an fac air rifle (which I never got) which was conditioned for vermin. I asked my feo (and basc) if this included fox. Not because I wanted to use it for that but because is been told it did by a mate. The answer from feo and basc were yes vermin includes fox?! Therefore my fac air slot was ok for fox (not that I'd ever use one for that).

Had this discussion with my feo a while back. I originally had a slot for an fac air rifle (which I never got) which was conditioned for vermin. I asked my feo (and basc) if this included fox. Not because I wanted to use it for that but because is been told it did by a mate. The answer from feo and basc were yes vermin includes fox?! Therefore my fac air slot was ok for fox (not that I'd ever use one for that).
There is no legal minimum as such, but it must be capable of a clean humane kill to avoid any prosecution for causing undue suffering, as well as the fact that it's the right thing to do.

It maybe all right with a bigger FAC Air but I am not fond of people who try to shoot at foxes with an air gun, especially a 12 ft/lb one. It's like trying to take a deer with a 22LR; doable but not the right tool for the job. It may be legal to do in the UK, unlike hunting deer with a below legal power rifle, but should not be encouraged as it will inevitably lead to wounded animals.

It maybe all right with a bigger FAC Air but I am not fond of people who try to shoot at foxes with an air gun, especially a 12 ft/lb one. It's like trying to take a deer with a 22LR; doable but not the right tool for the job. It may be legal to do in the UK, unlike hunting deer with a below legal power rifle, but should not be encouraged as it will inevitably lead to wounded animals.

I agree. And I'm certainly not suggesting that people get rid of their .243 to then use a 12ft/lb rifle to shoot at Charlie. But the fac air rifle is another tool for a job, and as Eddy says, in the right hands, they can be a useful tool.
Its clear to see that the person doing this 'urban fox hunting' is using a .22lr, and that the paper has probably jus added the 'air rifle' tag after hearing it is a 'two two', I'm actually glad he wasn't using a 10/22 or similair, or it would be 'urban fox hunting with an ASSAULT rifle' !!

Pete

Roy Lupton did a test recently on fieldsports tv, with various air guns and a .22 rf on fox skulls, the Daystate wolverine .303 certainly would drop any fox at a sensible range with a head shot, if he CAN get £350.00 for sitting in a suburban bedroom drinking tea, waiting for a baited fox then fair play to him, wish I could.

if it says vermin control for you 22lr then you can shoot foxes with it, what is short range and who polices this range.

The rifle has an ejection port RHS, so either a powder cartridge rifle or a TAC air rifle; it does look a bit like a Saxby Palmer rifle to be fair (Galaxy was it?).
In addition, if he's within the law, doing a safe job for good money good luck to him.
It may even open the door for more opportunities for the rest of us, at which point the price may come down.
Ethical, discreet and safe, that is all that matters.

if it says vermin control for you 22lr then you can shoot foxes with it, what is short range and who polices this range.

Same person who polices every other range of shot. You!

I wouldn't want to shoot a fox even in a trap with an air rifle. very thick skulls in places and unless it is an FAC .22/25+ calibre of over 35ftlbs I just don't believe it is producing enough energy to give the fox an instant death without the risk of brain injury but not instantaneous death

I once shot a fox with a .22lr CBLong at about 20 feet
smack between the eyes
felled him on the spot with a very slight delay to him dropping
stone dead at the scene
on inspection the bullet had not penetrated the skull but internally had produced a massive haematoma

CB Longs produce 32ft/lbs at the muzzle (28ft/lbs at 50yds so no appreciable drop at 20ft)
a 30ft/lb FAC air rifle is not shooting solid lead 30gr bullet
but often readily deformed pellets of 15-20gr (in .22 form, less in .177)

as for licensing
no-one cares, (no legal precedence, no legal definition of fox as vermin or more to the point NOT as vermin, no-one public defender with the balls to test it without numerous other crimes to lump together)

I have fox on ALL rifles as a matter of course as only because I do it regularly in urban environments
prior to this I would always shoot a close fox with the .22 if out rabbitting

just a thought

phil
I was tryin to ask and answer Philips statement, personally I would not shoot a fox with a 12ft/lb air rifle even in a trap

Back