VOERE .270 BOLT-MAGAZINE SPORTING RIFLE

jimbo123p

VOERE .270 BOLT-MAGAZINE SPORTING RIFLE
Some sites and reviews seem to like them. I am tempted by this one. Comes with a sight though I would change it for a swari that is waiting for my 270 slot. Harris bipod alsocheap but is it a wise buy,
Jim

A local gun shop has had a slightly cosmetically battered but mechanically good Voere rifle in .270 on the shelf for as long as I can remember. They keep offering it to me for ever reducing prices - last offer was £120 (even though it's listed at £190 on Gun Trader) - as I'm the only customer he has who shoots .270...

They are quite nice looking rifles, with decent Monte Carlo stocks and Mauser-type action.

Adam.

Steve, I do not have that much info.
Holt's sealed auction £100-£150 includes harris bipod and scope. Make of scope unknown. If I bid 100 that would be plus 22.50 +Vat=£126.43 + say £25 to my RFD £151.43 or thereabouts with a harris and scope it has to be cheap. Pic looks OK and my stalking mate is a gunsmith so it the barrel is fine he can sort the rest.
http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.co...alelot=S1035+++3522+&refno=+++29215&saletype=

Cheers,
Jim

That s the other one that caught my eye.
http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.co...alelot=S1035+++3527+&refno=+++32540&saletype=

Holt's charge 22.5% commission on the hammer price, Jim

They are not fashionable! As a friend said about Parker-Hale also. If it said "Rigby" on its barrel the Americans would forever be on about how good they were!

I have no idea why the 270 Wichester has become so unfashionable especially as at one time it was "THE" calibre for stalking on the hill in Scotland :rolleyes: I picked a rather nice original BSA 1st Pattern Monarch at the Bisley fair a couple of years ago. A private sale the guy could not get an offer on it from any of the dealers. A friend who is a dealer suggested that he speak to me and I felt a bit mean only being able to offer £100 for it but things are tight.

My dilema is not do I strip the finish off the stock to deal with the compresson marks on the side of the stock. It has the BSA high gloss finish, if it was the oiled finish it would have already have been done, but it's that high gloss plastic type varnish or whatever it is.

When I tried it out accuracy was dissapointing, I tried some Norma, RWS and my handloads that were accurate in a CF2 Stutzen and a Majestic Featherweight but none grouped acceptably. So I brought some new Speer Nitrex which proved to be total rubbish in every rifle I tried it in. How about 4" groups at 70 yards :eek: .

I then brought some Federal Fusion and Bingo :idea: it shoots around MOA or just over. so I would recommend trying this Federal offereing if your looking for factory ammunition for a .270 Win rifle. The Fusion I got is 150 grain.

Now the Voers are nice rifles but if you want a real classical English type rifle in .270 I saw one for sale which is a Parker-Hale action and barrel done like a Rigby. Not sure who did the work but it's up the Rigby's standards and Rigby did do soem P-H's it seems. The rifle was at :-

The Lincolnshire Shooting Centre at Burgh Gunshop which is near Skegness. they have a web site under LSC :) .

The way I look at it is it hasent got to be pretty but functional, the Voere is just that, its for killing Deer, its cheap and if it gets knocked who cares? The rifles we choose are but tools for a job and as long as you look after them they will serve us well is my take on it. ;)

The reason the second hand Voere is cheap is because they are crap
They did a review in one of our hunting mags and Voere did not do well. Also recall a chap who had one that was complete rubbish.
If they were so good you would see more in the gun shops. The same as the PH and BSA they were so good :rolleyes: that they don't make them any more. Just like british motorbikes ;)

Jagare
If BSA rifles are so bad why does my pre 1965 3006 shoot 1 inch groups my pre 1968 270 shoot 1 inch groups and my pre 1972 6.5x55 shoot same hole groups, you would not want to stand in front of one.
Sikadog

Jagare said:
They did a review in one of our hunting mags and Voere did not do well. Also recall a chap who had one that was complete rubbish.
If they were so good you would see more in the gun shops. The same as the PH and BSA they were so good :rolleyes: that they don't make them any more. Just like british motorbikes ;)
Steady on Jag, My Bonneville dos'nt have any oil under it & I have'nt got to carry wire ,pliers & chewing gum anymore!, I suppose thats because the last one was an 05' & the current one is an 08', something to do with copying the japs production methods I think! :lol:

Jagare said:
http://www.snipersystems.co.uk/id38.html

http://www.voere.com/

Wooo...talking out of your arse :). Take a look at the above links or take a trip to meet Alfons at the Voere factory in the Tirol and come back with the same remarks. Their new rifles are really well engineered semi custom jobs and am considering buying one of the new take downs.

Also PH's and BSA's are absolutely fine esp. after a good bedding job.
Good shooting rifles.

Have seen two dodgy Varbergers though ;)

The same as the PH and BSA they were so good Rolling Eyes that they don't make them any more.

No. They don't make them anymore because PH and BSA could not sustain themselves without their "other" product line.

With PH this was the UK concession for Smith & Wesson. With BSA with military contracts and airguns.

Both firms were effectively killed by successive restrictions on the ownership of weapons and the failure to realise that "modern" recreational shooting is neither "the Bisley model" nor "roughshooting" or "stalking".

BSA should with hindsight have created themselves a machine made O/U clay pigeon range and PH well maybe not been failed by the useless Shooting Sports Council at the time of Dunblane.

Jagare said:
The same as the PH and BSA they were so good :rolleyes: that they don't make them any more. Just like british motorbikes ;)
Also, since when has it ever followed that just because something isn't made anymore that makes it crap? Of all the best examples of machines, guns or in fact anything that is 'crafted' the best and or nicest examples are often the ones no longer made, generally because of companies trying to cost cut and compete with chinese labour rates, if not actually using them!

On a different note, Jim - how do you get to those detailed pages on Holts? I can't find where you can look at each item. Also, I didn't know there were any catalogues up yet for the next auctions?

sikadog said:
Jagare
If BSA rifles are so bad why does my pre 1965 3006 shoot 1 inch groups my pre 1968 270 shoot 1 inch groups and my pre 1672 6.5x55 shoot same hole groups, you would not want to stand in front of one.
Sikadog
Keith, is that a matchlock Swede then? :D

PH & BSA were ok when there was nothing else to compere them with. I have a couple of mates who still have PH they only keep them because they were there first rifles but they shoot Sauers for stalking.
I do recall when PH would gaurantee 1" out of the box but they still had crap triggers. I remember when they coverted army rifles into sporters for 12 quid.
It does not matter why they don't make them any more they just were not good enough in the modern world.
Ph and BSA lacked vision, loook what you can do with a triumph if you have a bit of forsight.
Ah, Varberger rifles. A tale of Incompetence. fraud and to many changes of ownership. You should have seen there light weight sporter they made just before they went bankrupt.
I await the new Voere rifle appearing in the gun shops . I'm sure they will fly of the gun rack like hot cakes ;) there Titan model went down well :rolleyes:

Jagare said:
PH & BSA were ok when there was nothing else to compere them with. I have a couple of mates who still have PH they only keep them because they were there first rifles but they shoot Sauers for stalking.
I do recall when PH would gaurantee 1" out of the box but they still had crap triggers. I remember when they coverted army rifles into sporters for 12 quid.
It does not matter why they don't make them any more they just were not good enough in the modern world.
Ph and BSA lacked vision, loook what you can do with a triumph if you have a bit of forsight.
Ah, Varberger rifles. A tale of Incompetence. fraud and to many changes of ownership. You should have seen there light weight sporter they made just before they went bankrupt.
I await the new Voere rifle appearing in the gun shops . I'm sure they will fly of the gun rack like hot cakes ;) there Titan model went down well :rolleyes:

Hmmmm so your saying that the Timmney Trigger is crap? :eek: as the Parker-Hales from the late 1960's had a Timmney type trigger adjustable for weight of pull length of travel and sear engagement. BSA's trigger could have done with a bit of improvement from the Monarch onwards (cost cuttign strikes yet again) and one was developed but the accountants would not allow it's introduction into production as all monies were going to support other ventures. BSA Motorcyles wre making a loss it was the gun side that carried them. Of course our superb and fair minded government helped out in helping them out of the gun business :mad: .

Parker-Hale were the victims of asset strippers a bit like the Meriden Co-Operative the site they stood on was just too tempting for some.. To my mind some shoot certain makes like they drive certain cars because they're fashionable and show their status not because they are good :cry: :rolleyes: A friend of mine got rid of his Sauer 202 as it wouldn't group under about 2" even after a new barrel. He swopped it for a Blaser R93 professional.

As for this bit:-

I remember when they coverted army rifles into sporters for 12 quid.
Yes P-H did this right up into the late 1970's at least and if the triggers were so bad then how come so many competitions were won with the T4's which after all was a converted No4 with a new heavy barrel in 7.62x51mm. In fact the Le Enfield trigger could be worked to give a very crisp let off ;) such as the one on this conversion:-

No4SportingconversionRHS.jpg

It sounds to me like you have a grudge against BSA & P-H rifles and little to back it up after all you wrote this:-

PH & BSA were ok when there was nothing else to compere them with

So what your actually saying is that no one else made sporting rifles, or that they were not available in the UK before the demise of BSA & P-H? Oh come on that's pure bull and you know it. Your also implying that Holland and Holland and Rigby rifles are crap because they're built on a military Mauser 98 action in a lot of cases :rolleyes:

As for the modern "Japanese" triumph I suppose if you cleaned the oil out it would make a nice boat anchor ;) I don't like plastic on guns nor motorcycles ;) .

Jagare said:

The Titan marketing was sunk by Mauser when they had a contract for a pile of Titan IIs / Mauser 99s go wrong on them as the buyer couldn't come up with the cash and they hadn't taken a performance bond. That sent Mauser into the poo along with Voere. And the rifle industry was doing badly then anyway. Nothing to do with the quality of the rifle. The Titan was superbly made and spendidly precise. Very smooth action and terrific trigger. Voere are first and foremost precision engineers. They do not have a huge marketing budget and will never compete on volume, but they will compete on quality.

As for your comments on Parker Hales and BSAs...ZZZzzzzz...yawn...would you mind popping across to the 600yd marker and holding this metal plate up? Good fellow...just like that...brace it against your knees. No no, you'll be alright...it's just a worn out old BSA that's never shot well anyway, assuming it fires at all..shoddy engineering. British rifles never shoot well so you're quite safe ;).

Mauser66 said:
Jagare said:
http://www.snipersystems.co.uk/id38.html

http://www.voere.com/

Wooo...talking out of your arse :). Take a look at the above links or take a trip to meet Alfons at the Voere factory in the Tirol and come back with the same remarks. Their new rifles are really well engineered semi custom jobs and am considering buying one of the new take downs.

Also PH's and BSA's are absolutely fine esp. after a good bedding job.
Good shooting rifles.

Have seen two dodgy Varbergers though ;)

I can't comment about Voere rifles now, but I had a .243 25 years ago - it was the worst rifle I ever had. Real problems feeding from the magazine.

Hmmm so you have some issues with ONE of their rifles :rolleyes: Seeing the amount of Remington 700's that are re-built and blueprinted using your way of thinking that must make the Remington 700 the worse rifle ever made :lol:

Actually I think the reason the Voers are cheap is about the same as why you can pick up rifles chambered in the std 270 Winchester cartridge cheaply ............................. they have fallen out of fashion :rolleyes: Simples ;)

Greville, a magazine feed problem can arrive in the box, with a brand new rifle, just a factor in off the shelf rifles, most people can accept things like this & deal with it,if you want faultless performance & operation, put your hand in your pocket, BUT, you could still find an imperfection in a bespoke job, as is attested by many posts on AR where there are many defects discussed. 8)

Back