Best Practice Seminar Dalby Forest Pickering, 20th March 2014

Ronin

Distinguished Member
We are very pleased to announce that there will be another Best Practice Event held, in partnership with the Deer Initiative, British Deer Society, Forestry Commission and BASC.

This will be a one day practical workshop event for land / site managers and deer practitioners.

Topics will include Dogs for Deer, Risk Assessments and Carcase Handling.

The speakers, who are all extremely experienced in deer management will include:

Dogs for Deer Norman Healy England’s Wildlife Manager for The Forestry Commission

Risk Assessments John Thornley Joint author of the book Fair Game

Carcase Handling Andrew Dewhirst Wildlife Ranger with the Forestry Commission

Venue Dalby Forest, Pickering North Yorkshire, YO18 7LT.PLEASE FOLLOW BROWN TOURIST SIGNS.

DATE Thursday 20th March 2014

Time Registration: 08.00hrs with tea/coffee available

Event timings: 08.30hrs - 16.30hrs

What to bring Please bring with you outdoor clothing
Refreshments will be provided

The cost of the day is £45.00* per person which includes lunch and a copy of the Best Practice Guide.

If the event is well attended, there is the possibility that funding will be released for another four similar training events nationally.

This is well worth attending to anyone - experienced or not in deer management.

For enquiries or bookings, please contact:

Alistair Boston (Deer Liaison Officer)

alastair.boston@thedeerinitiative.co.uk

Or Alistairs mobile - The Deer Initiative 07855606877

If these are anything like the best practice days ,that SNH use to set up everyone will leave with something worth while.

In Scotland, we got theses for free ,just a pity it doesn't work the same in England £ 45.00 isn't a lot of money,on it's own but with everything else all nailed together it all adds up .

On the other hand at least you'll have genuinely interested people turn up .

£45 includes a copy of the Best Practice manual, which is worth I think £25.

So for a days quality training it isn't a lot at all..

Look at a days training in any industry - i'll bet there would be no change out of £200 / day, so in my opinion this is extremely good value considering the quality of the trainers:

Norman Healy - expert in deer dogs, worked for years for FC as Ranger under John Cubby at Grizedale and gone on to higher things in the FC

John Thornley - author of several legal related books for sportsman, works with BASC and advisor to the government for firearms law

Andrew Dewhurst - very experienced and articulate ranger for the FC

Excellent line up…..

Last edited:

Look at a days training in any industry - i'll bet there would be no change out of £200 / day, so in my opinion this is extremely good value considering the quality of the trainers:

Norman Healy - expert in deer dogs, worked for years for FC as Ranger under John Cubby at Grizedale and gone on to higher things in the FC

John Thornley - author of several legal related books for sportsman, works with BASC and advisor to the government for firearms law

Excellent line up…..

Andy I totally agree with the price, for the line up and the quality of day.
£45.00 these day gets you one box of rounds.

In Scotland 6 pointer has put another competence awareness day together which will involve many quality people .

Excellent line up…..

I've been to a couple of these days before and always come away with something new. Last time it was a newer / easier way of dealing with the bladder / back end in the field but Andrew D ended up cooked like a beetroot from standing in the sun all day!
I'll be going this time for the risk assessment stuff, I'm getting asked more and more for them, that and a local incident where a young lad lost his life whilst out foxing I'm thinking it would be good to be able to do them and show that I can do them.

Anyone else going, I'm not a fan of a room full of strangers.

I sent my form an cheque off last weekend bud so ill be there.
Regards
Jimmy
I've been to a couple of these days before and always come away with something new. Last time it was a newer / easier way of dealing with the bladder / back end in the field but Andrew D ended up cooked like a beetroot from standing in the sun all day!
I'll be going this time for the risk assessment stuff, I'm getting asked more and more for them, that and a local incident where a young lad lost his life whilst out foxing I'm thinking it would be good to be able to do them and show that I can do them.

Anyone else going, I'm not a fan of a room full of strangers.

I won't be able to make it sadly but all of the guys I spoke to who went to the same at Grizedale said it was first class.

That's a shame Nick was hoping to be putting some faces to names, anyone else going as I've heard there real good days for next to no money.
Regards
Jimmy

BP Guides if you are picking them up are £10 ANDY and I must say my self they are the best thing to come out of the old DCS -SNH It was also nice to see the DI copy them for the English chaps.Good luck on the day these are not easy to put together

It will be a worthwhile event for anyone involved with deer management, and I'm prepared to give up more than half a weeks dole money to attend!
it doesn't matter how experienced you are and how much you know... You will always learn something new! And these guys who are running it are professionals in the industry so whoever attends will definately learn summat!

Redmist tried to message you but your inbox is full, I believe your of to Malmo's tomorrow. Some work in for you, Im sure you will notice the tag on the .22 rifle. Weak extractor I believe no doubt the spring.

If you let me know what time your about Il try and get down.
Pm your mobile I send you a txt, as said tried to message you with my number but inbox full.

Oh the day looks good, If it was a week later Id come but Im in sennybridge on the ranges and warcop this monday to wed.

Hi redmist. Im attending but as I said to Alistair when I spoke to him and he mentioned a concern as to the lack of interest, a midweek course in march "most people's holidays running April to April" I would imagine always struggle for numbers, so just a thought but maybe next time a weekend day could be a better idea.
Regards
Jimmy

Back