Dorchester with Malc and Robin

pheasant sniper 1

Up for a reasonable start at 5:15 and a zero degrees welcome on opening the door..

I set off to meet Malc and Robin on his lease at Dorchester..

Fortunately there were no ditches and having parked succesfully i felt this was a great omen for the day :lol:

Well where do you start as its not often ive found myself in a position of not being able to take a shot as the number of deer having been bumped were grouped so tightly :eek:

Quick draw Robin was the first to get on a shootable deer whilst i was still playing with my sticks,binos, camera, rifle safety catch he had singled out one and with the herd of fifteen or so dispersing this hind had made around fifty yards..

Robin is on the right

Havin hung this one to cool we set off along a narrow strip of wood with myself positioned on an opening to one field,Robin stalking down a ride and Malc on the other side.. Looking forward of the field i was in i could see a group of nine making for a further wooded area in the next field..

The wind was doing us no favours as seemed to constantly be changing..

Splitting up,Malc and i moved on to stalk through a small wooded area with Robin setting up in a neighbouring field when a good sized spiker moved out from the woodline making across towards Robin..

Shot taken and the thwack of impact the spiker set off at amazing speed and out of sight towards a deep stream and neighbouring woods..

Malc left me to stalk the woods setting off with Todd ( the handsome one in the pictures ) to aid Robin in finding the sika..

This is where it all gets a bit hazy depending on wether its Malcs or Robins story you listen to:eek: :oops: :lol:

Ive gone with Malcs and will leave Robin to reply ;)

Todd hot on the trail, unfortunately the spiker had made onto a neighbours land, so rifles left at the boundary it was over the fence to find it looking pretty angry on a raised bed in the middle of a fast flowing stream..
Todd had the good sense not to jump in as the water was deep and this spiker was standing tall and not looking happy :eek:

Suddenly the hand of encouragement was felt between Malcs shoulder blades as he found himself in the stream whilst Robin was checking out his realtree cammo behind a tree :eek: :lol: :lol:

With head lowered this spiker was looking to use them to best effect before our Malc had grabbed it taking its head to one side and despatching with a knife at which point Robin reappeared.. :lol:

Collecting these two on the quad i new somethin was up when this pair of boots came up either side of malcs ears.. Realising they belonged to me i nearly broke his ribs grabbing to hold on.. :lol:

That was the morning finished and arriving back at the farmhouse to the full monty it took about six cuppas each to get through the two sides to that story and recover from the marathon walk :lol:

It was soon time to head out for the afternoon/evening and leaving me in a high seat Robin and Malc set off for neighbouring woods..

In the seat for ten minutes i spotted a lone youngster.. Shot taken it dropped on the spot and so early in the evening was gralloched and hung before i returned to the seat..

Thinking i should know better we were off on the quad again at speed up a hill..
Using the lamp to aid night vision by the time we both spotted the hollow ditch Malcs nuts now had a petrol cap between them and i was headin over his shoulders :lol: :lol: absolutely hilarious..

Many thanks to Malc for his generosity and company and yet again have added another face off the forum - Robin whose company and humour was greatly appreciated..

That was four diferent species ive had in four outings with you Malc..

Many thanks again

Terry

Great write-up Terry! 8)

I had the pleasure of the 'River Stag' account first hand when I went down to see Malc and Robin this morning. You'll be pleased to know they are still sticking pretty much to your version :lol:

We didn't fair quite so well this morning, icey winds and torrential rain were testing to say the least, but Robin still managed to stalk up on a nice stag despite the conditions, but I'm sure he'll be along at some point to fill you all in.

My thanks also to Malcolm and Robin, it can be as cold, wet and horrible as it likes but great company still makes for a fantastic day.

Alex

(Terry, apologies for slight thread hijack :oops: )

SIKA STALKING

Nice write up terry it sounds like you all had quite an eventfull time and memories that will last a lifetime i bet.
Dont know if i would of fancied going head to head with a peed off sika in the middle of a flooded stream though especially with head gear like that looking back at you. :lol:
Well done guys and a big pat on the head for todd who i am reliably informed actually did most of the hard work :lol:

Hopefully catch up soon
ATB
RICK O SHEA

Good write up Terry and well done on your fourth Species of deer, He`s getting pretty good at this game is Malcom ;)

Indianna Malc gave me a call to give me the details of that stag. :eek:

Bad luck on your outing Alex buddy, but with what Malc said to me it sounds like they were pretty much stirred up and not wanting to play ball anyway mate, but it sounds like you all had a great few days.

Well done to all. ;)

wadas

As requested, here is the photo of Robin's stag from this morning

SikaDorset001.jpg

Thanks Alex

Will have to stop following each other around and try and meet up on the same day in 2010..

Hope Indianna Malc wasnt required on that one.. :lol:

ATB

Terry

I've just finished speaking to Malc and can confirm that the version of events that Terry gave was quite correct :eek: Even down to hitting a "small hole" as it was put to me on the quad, but it was alright apparently as they landed on all four wheels!

Well done lads and well done to Robin he put them to shame at the weekend by shooting three beasts.

John

Dorchester

Just got home, and thought i had better have a look at the report Terry said he would do :eek: , what a load of b##locks, I would never let a mate risk himself on mybehalf :rolleyes: , but Malc insisted, honest. True the spiker had run about 600 yds, had a hole in the lower chest you could put an orange in,and was panting fit to burst,( between you and me I think the only reason it lowered it's head was because it was too knackered to hold it up) but truth to tell Malc was in there like some sort of nutter, shouting Geronimo, or some such word, knife at the ready, meanwhile I was already in the river all be it downstream a few yards, trying to distract it whilst walking towards it, me being the sensible one ;) . I havent got to this age by doing silly things like a certain person I know 8) It was all over very quickly, and many thanks and praises were given to Todd, after all he was the one that did all the work :lol: :lol:
Bye the way just incase anyone thinks I was greedy shooting the first hind of the day, when they appeared in the field we were all ready to fire but after waiting for the other two to get on their sticks, fart, and find the animals , I told them twice I was ready to fire, and we would all have died of old age if I had waited any longer.
It was good to meet another member of the site, and well done Terry for a good clean shot, perhaps next time Malc will let you shoot a full grown one ;) ;)
The following morning we met Alex, who drove all the way from Bristol to be with us at 6am having left home at 4am :eek: :eek:
The first thing he told us was that he had brought the rain with him, he told the truth :evil: I have stalked in some bad weather but this was something else, apart from the rain it was blowing a hoolie, and to make matters worse it was very misty and cold :( , the chances of seeing anything let alone deer was almost nil, but Alex had made the effort and Malc was going to do his damnedest to find him one, unfortunately it was not to be. I had gone off on my own with Malc's instuction to do the perimeter up wind, hoping that if I bumped any thing it would run into and across Alex, I was lucky enough to find a few in the lee of a small wood, got to within 150 yds and was able to pick out the six pointer in the photo but they didn't run in the direction we had hoped,(do they ever?) so unfortunately all Alex got was very wet, perhaps next time Alex.
It just remains for me to say a very big thank you to Malc yet again. We have had some very good stalking together in the last two years all over the country, every one a good one. Last but not least THE TODD who does all the real work, with the rest of us following on behind.

Well thats another adventure over :lol: :lol:

I have to say that without Todd we would have been in trouble. Both Terry and myself watched the Sika spiker cross the small field and herd the shot and strike from Robins 308 :rolleyes: (bloody 308's :lol: ) anyway the stag ran into the boundry ditch and disapeared.

I decided to make my way to Robin and help with Todd. On both of us approaching the ditch Todd was on the scent straight away and the stag crashed out of the ditch and ran full pelt across the neighbouring farm field with Todd in hot pursuit. Not wishing to commit armed trespass we left the rifles in the hedge and made our way across the field. By this time we could hear Todd baying the stag in the wood in front of us, the distance from us jumping the wounded beast was about 600yds.

On entering the wood and walking in about 100yds we discovered Todd baying the stag in the middle of the small river that runs through both propertys. The stag was in the middle of the river on a gravel bar. Todd was reluctant to jump in as he was above the beast and there was about a 4ft gap between the bank and the gravel bar with about 3 to 4 foot of water, so the dog was reluctant to put itself at risk.

With nothing but a small gralloching knife to use I decided to jump onto the gravel bar to the left of the stag. The stag didnt appear to bothered until it looked my way and lowered its head. I took one step forward and very quickly grabbed its antler twisted its head over to my left and pushed the knife into its chest and into its heart, on falling to the floor Todd joined in and Robin also helped to dispatch the beast as quickly and humanly as possible.

Dragging it back to our property, I informed the farmer of what had occured and then went back t get the quad, with Terry to help me.

All in all an eventful weekend. Thanks Terry, gald you got one with me and sorry Alex hope to get you out again in the new year Alex.

Happy New Year everyone.

ATB

Sikamalc

Nice write up Terry.
Glad you all had a good time and robin, thats a fine looking beast you have there mate :D
Just got back from norfolk myself and read the posts. Sikadundeemalc :lol: Phoned me in the week and and told me the story so couldnt wait to get back and read the posts.... :D

Hope you all had a good crimbo and new year and didint get too drunk.......I didnt honest :rolleyes:
Fester

Back