Rabbiting

yorkshire

I keep getting asked the question and honestly have no idea. How much do people charge for rabbiting? It would be a combination of ferreting and shooting

cheers

I would say nothing......most people enjoy the sport and are looking for it to lead on to something else bigger and better and use it as a means of keeping the farmer happy.....same as foxing. I know professional pest controllers would charge but that's slightly different.

well then it rather depends on what he is asking you to do.....and what else you are getting from the deal.
If he is expecting you to provide a certain level of service and make a concerted dent in the population from numerous hours spent out lamping/gassing/ferreting etc, and will blame you should his crops get damaged in the spring (which I've seen happen all too often), then I would suggest a sensible hourly rate, depending on how much you value your time.
(we used to employ a chap for around (£25/hour) but then he had full professional liability insurance, and relevant tickets etc and was a professional pest controller who charged extra for antisocial hours etc, ie, being out lamping or early doors......)
Personally I would rather he gave me permission to shoot the deer as well and cover any expense that way.

He is indeed a Yorkshire man lol. We drill all his crops so I'm going to get the blame in spring regardless!!! I'll figure out an hourly rate I think, already let's me shoot foxes/deer

Never charged for ferreting but have for fox control in the past , ferreting is my absolute favorite of country sports I used to go twice a week but once every couple of weeks at the min in fact I'm off Sunday :)

It would depend on the acreage and land say a 40 acre farm would be around £5 per acre per week but that would be for clearance including fenn trapping but 1500 acre would be less per acre, plus rabbits of course and I would expect to clear small farms in a couple of weeks night shooting and trapping b4 I retired that was?

If you are in employment and want to charge for part time pest control, I think you could join the Countryside Alliance then their insurance scheme will cover you? Or they used to formally, it a cheep way for a beginner? Its worth a phone call

Last edited:
We have reached a solution, we shall be receiving payment in the form of beef and pork. More than happy with that. Didn't like the idea of charging this guy but not everyone else

Jeez a s""t flicker actually asking to part with money !!!! Think I need a strong cup of coffee to wake me from my dream !!!! Haha
regards
Jimmy

Nice result on produce, another way is a contribution for diesel, keeps it tidy and the farmer doesn't choke on a bitter pill

keep it at that for a while, you never know something else could pop up, like a neighbour has a deer problem, he will want to help for what you do for him.

And rabbit shooting and ferreting is a cracking sport

phil

One of the farms I got asked to sort the bunnies on last year was overrun (I shot 300 in one bank holiday weekend).
The farmer knew how bad it was before I started and offered to cover the cost of the ammo. I didn't take him up on it but it could be an option.

Back