Which bullet to go with?

michaeli

Hi guys

so picked up my .308 rifle and starting to reload . Going to the shooting show tomorrow and going to pick supply's up.

The he guy I bought the rifle off recomended 165 gr Hornady soft point interlocks for deer (all) and 110 Hornady v-max BT for a foxing/varmint round.

So what I was thinking is if I can't get these bullets what is the next thing to try. I was also told Sierra gamekings 150gr would be good and also the match kings for target.

Now ow as I'm still starting I don't want to have to buy 5 different bullet types and 10 powders etc.

I currenlty have enough vit n150 for about 50 or so rounds and was looking at getting Hodgson 4148 (I think) for the 110gr.

Can anypoint me in a good (nice price bracket as money's tight) starting point.

Thanks
michael

Last edited:
I load 308 with N140, 36grains. I use 150grain interbond for deer and 150grain FMJ for down the range, that keeps it simple don't even need to mess about with the scope!

As above 150gr and N140. I use 46 gr not 36 but each rifle is different. Touching rounds at 100yards.

Your going to get a lot of suggestions for that chambering as its so popular!

who knows what's going to be accurate in your rifle, but as for performance of a particular bullet, and since you mentioned them, 150grn Sierra Gamekings are a very good bullet, cheap, accurate (in my rifle) but more importantly cause very little damage at 308 velocities while still performing as they should do. I use them mainly on Sika and occasionally roe and would never change now for any UK deer species.

Im on 150grn gamekings with varget. My has used gamekings and noslers both 150 with varget and vit 140.

Nutty

i'll rebel and say I use 150 grain sst with 44.5 or 45.5 grains of h4895 depending on whats to hand....the 45.5 shoot a lot better though

In mine, Sierra 150gn Gamekings over 46.0gns Vhit 150, seem to do the job on the large and small species.

44.0gns Varget ok too when you can source it.

i use nosler 125 grain BT , 2.806 oal and 46 grains of vit N135 they travel at 2980 fps out of a 20 inch barrel, they are a flying bomb the deer hate them.

i have tryed all sorts 150sst, sierra 150/180, hornady 150 etc etc, and the 125 noslers are the best all round bullet ive found.

one tip choose a bullet get it accurate and stick with it, learn its drop etc etc and go have fun

I use the 150 grain interlocks (Spire Points) and get 3000fps (measured) out of them with Reloader 15. They are accurate and kill deer well plus they are inexpensive and available. I have also used reloader 15 for bullets from 110 grain V-MAX up to 165 grain Sierra Game Kings.

My bullet of choice for deer is the 150 grain Nosler Partition as I've found it to be putting chest shot sika straight down whereas they always made at least 50 yards with the interlocks.

You always have the choice to order bullets from the USA should you have problems getting supply here, though at the minute I'm not sure there is much of a saving.

Hi guys

thanks for all your help.

so from the posts it looks like N140 powder is the way to pushing a 150gr bullet. I will have a look and see what Sierra / nosler bullets I can find.

Just wish I could find n140 in 1LB tubes while I'm still trying it.

Really like isle the idea of one bullet for all and learn it etc.

Thanks
michael

i use nosler 125 grain BT , 2.806 oal and 46 grains of vit N135 they travel at 2980 fps out of a 20 inch barrel, they are a flying bomb the deer hate them.

i have tryed all sorts 150sst, sierra 150/180, hornady 150 ietc etc, and the 125 noslers are the best all round bullet ive found.

one tip choose a bullet get it accurate and stick with it, learn its drop etc etc and go have fun

Thats good to hear. And good advice with picking 1 bullet and making it work. How do you find damage on Roe sub 100yds with the 125??

Nutty

Hi guys

so went to the show today and had a great time. Bought lots of reloading bits. Had a good long chat with the guys at Brock & Norris. Great people. Could not bring my self to by £75 worth of powder so I settled on

150gr Hornady BTSP interlocks on recommendation pushed along with N150 and rem magnum primers.

Hopfuly get get a loaded sorted ASAP.

Thanks michael

Back