I had a morning stalk booked this morning and was hoping that there wasnít going to be any snow on the ground with the weather what itís been recently. I had a look outside when I got up at 6 and was pleased to see it was wet with just a light drizzle.
We started with a walk through a wood, just to check if there was anything in the field on the other side but not really expecting much with the cold and wet. Turned out that the mist wouldnít really let us see much anyway. Decided to walk towards another wood, but taking the long way round to keep the wind on our faces.
About 80 metres away from the treeline, I spotted a roe doe presenting with a perfect broadside position. She seemed a little bit nervous but I slowly raised the rifle on to the sticks, took aim and fired.
Now, it was nice to be able to keep the sight picture as I was shooting a .243 which was very nicely moderated. Iím used to shooting .30 cal so pretty much always lose the sight picture. Looking through the scope, the doe reacted in the characteristic way Iíve read about when a deer is hit in the guts. I then saw her head off into the woods. My stalking guide had also seen the shot and saw the hair fly back.
We walked up slowly to where she had been shot and found a good amount of hair but not much blood. Walked into the woods and saw her on the ground about 30 yards in. She hadnít run far. I went over and despatched her.
Looking at the entry and exit wounds, it was clear the shot had been a bit further back than I had gone for. We did a suspended gralloch and found that the shot had smashed the liver and some of the lungs. The meat was still pretty clean once weíd finished.
All in all, it was a nice dayís stalking, with some venison in the larder. It was the third deer Iíve shot and something new learned yet again.