Hill boots

I tried them on the hill but couldn't get on with them. The head stalker on the neighbouring estate still wore them though .
i have two pairs in a size 8 in pretty good condition if anybody wants them.

I tried them on the hill but couldn't get on with them. The head stalker on the neighbouring estate still wore them though .
i have two pairs in a size 8 in pretty good condition if anybody wants them.
yes i wil buy them if they are leather soled ,i have worn sprung soled boots and shoes all my working life ido prefere nailed to compound soles

I have a pair of Hoggs Veldshoen that I stalk in and I find them excellent for the hill, though they are not fully waterproof

I have a few pairs in the loft, as well as Hill Shoes. Your post has prompted me to dig them out.

I used to wear nothing but, however new style light weight gore text boots and my laziness destined them into retirement!

i still have boots that have been resoled 6 times!! I have Hoggs as well as Maybole Boots which are made from horse hide.

I'll post some pics, for those who haven't come across traditional sprung boots, they are heavy ( 7lbs a pair!) and are not fully water proof.

I still have a couple of pairs of hill shoes, one pair thats well over thirty years old, like bambislayer I used to wear nothing but horse hide boots, however like most people I have been won over by modern materials.

Well made horse hide boots were 100% waterproof until you had them resoled for some reason they always seemed to let in a bit after resoling.

I bought a pair of Souter horse hide boots with my first months wages when I started as a trainee keeper they cost at that time £6 which was a weeks wages

I also remember a few years later going to Ayrshire with my then head keeper to get measured for a pair of boots
these were made to order and were very comfortable boots in spite of there weight.

Bob Bisset ( no longer with us) who was the stalker at Invermeran at the head of of Glen Lyon made traditional sprung boots and his services were much in demand be stalkers, keepers and shepherds.

Last edited:
I still have some hill shoes and boots i had hoggs and maybole boots and a pair of shoes
the shoes were a mistake by the way
i always liked nailed boots better however even the fell huntsmen use modern boots now

Callum - best things ever on the hill, although your feet will suffer until they're broken in. And as the others say, not completely waterproof. Fine for a day at driven grouse in August though ;) Dave

Back