.22-250 neck sizing

SecretStalker.308

Following on from my previous post asking people do they neck size .22-250 or just full length size ...

I currently full length size all my .22-250 Sako brass, but would like to try neck sizing. The Nosler manual states due to the tapered body of the .22-250 case neck sizing will dramatically extend brass life time.
The question: when firing a full length sized case will there be a diferent internal case pressure from that of an already fire formed neck sized case?

Will this diference in pressure affect velocity, grouping or point of impact in any way?

Steve

Steve

It's a very good question. Given the range of variables involved, only you can really tell the answer that your technique and kit will give. One interesting option would be to work up a load with full length resized brass and work up a second load with neck sized brass. Start with the same bullets and brass and powder, but determine the powder weight and seating for each load.

To me the measure of a good load is one that works on the 2nd firing of the brass and the 8th or 9th firing of the brass.

Good luck.

JCS

Steve

It's a very good question. Given the range of variables involved, only you can really tell the answer that your technique and kit will give. One interesting option would be to work up a load with full length resized brass and work up a second load with neck sized brass. Start with the same bullets and brass and powder, but determine the powder weight and seating for each load.

To me the measure of a good load is one that works on the 2nd firing of the brass and the 8th or 9th firing of the brass.

Good luck.

JCS

HI JCS

Thanks for your reply I already have a good load worked out which gives me a lovely 1/2" group @100yards.
Sako brass trimmed to 1.900in
Federal 210m primers
37gr of H380
Sierra 55gr gameking
C.O.l 2.424"

I think what I'll do which would Be rather Interesting if not the best method anyway will be along the lines of what you suggested or possibly exactly what you meant.

3 rounds which are FL sized brass and 3 rounds of fire formed neck sized brass
2 targets next to each at the same distance, same conditions, same shooting position lying down with bipod and rear bag, same bullets, same powder, same day, same time etc etc.

Hopefully borrow a chrono off a friend or go down the local range, chrono @100 yards with targets and shoot 3 FL rounds on one target and 3 fire formed neck sized round on the other.

Should be interesting to see the diferences if any. I will put pictures up when I'm done.

Steve

Steve

Reading your latest post, I would suggest that you need to work up a neck sized load too. I would expect neck sizing to give you a slightly different answer in terms of powder weight and COL. Perhaps you might end up with a powder weight of 37.2 gr for the neck sized brass?

I normally full length resize, but when I first got my 243 Ackley, I didn't have a body die initially, so I neck sized the brass for that.

I look forward to seeing your results.

Regards

JCS

Steve

Reading your latest post, I would suggest that you need to work up a neck sized load too. I would expect neck sizing to give you a slightly different answer in terms of powder weight and COL. Perhaps you might end up with a powder weight of 37.2 gr for the neck sized brass?

I normally full length resize, but when I first got my 243 Ackley, I didn't have a body die initially, so I neck sized the brass for that.

I look forward to seeing your results.

Regards

JCS

I havent thought of it that way, but your right! It may need a diferent load to account for internal case pressure.
I will leave the c.o.l the same as that achieves a nice group with 55gr sierra gamekings and 50gr nosler bt's.

What I'll do Is shoot 3 FL sized cases same load and 3 neck sized fire formed cases same load, to show on paper the diference if any from internal case pressure as I think it would be interesting to see, then if the neck sized does need some work then by all means back to the drawing board. Lets hope I strike lucky!! :)

I look forward to seeing results myself will be interesting to see what effect just internal pressure may do, load will be exactly the same so only variable can be case pressure.

Steve

The problem with only neck sizing the 22-250, especially if you shoot a fairly hot load is that the case can stretch quite quickly and you may find that you can no longer chamber your brass.

My custom 22-250 has quite a tight chamber and I could only get a max of 2 firings before the brass won't chamber, I am firing a max load. I now bump the shoulders of my brass back after each firing just enough to allow the brass to chamber

The problem with only neck sizing the 22-250, especially if you shoot a fairly hot load is that the case can stretch quite quickly and you may find that you can no longer chamber your brass.

My custom 22-250 has quite a tight chamber and I could only get a max of 2 firings before the brass won't chamber, I am firing a max load. I now bump the shoulders of my brass back after each firing just enough to allow the brass to chamber

Anthony. Very interesting, how often do you anneal your brass? Regards JCS

+1 thanks for that post Anthony very interesting! I only load 37gr of H380 so plenty of room left in the case not a Max load. But I might well encounter that as my RWS Titan 3 has a tight chamber aswell. Do you have any pictures of your Rifle? What is your load?
Steve

Anthony. Very interesting, how often do you anneal your brass? Regards JCS

I anneal my brass after 4 firings, I am using Lapua and have some brass that is now on it's 9th firing.

+1 thanks for that post Anthony very interesting! I only load 37gr of H380 so plenty of room left in the case not a Max load. But I might well encounter that as my RWS Titan 3 has a tight chamber aswell. Do you have any pictures of your Rifle? What is your load?
Steve

My load is 38.5gr of H380 pushing a 55gr Sierra Blitzking, this gives 3727fps out of my 26" barrel. I used to use 53gr Hornady V-Max but got fed up with what I thought was inconsistent seating depth but turned out to be large variances in bullet sizes. The consistency of my groups has increased a lot since I switched.

My rifle is here:

IMG_1814.JPG

Full custom 22-250 based on a Surgeon action with a cut Border barrel and a McMillan stock, all built and painted by Dave at Valkyrie Rifles.

Back