High Seat Vandalism

long_range_rob

I was out after does this afternoon and had the good fortune to be successful. As it was early it thought I'd go and check the nearest high seat, however some soap dodging git had got there before me and cut the retaining ropes, bent the legs and the support (fortunately it's only a cheapo summit seat but it was still £100)

My question is, should I report it to the constabulary? If so then is it vandalism, criminal damage or even a breach of health and safety law by damaging safety equipment?

I think I will have to go back to handmade wooden seat as these seem to be left alone.

Aggravated trespass with criminal damage.
I would report it, doubt they will send out csi, but at least it is logged.
Try sticking a sign next to it, saying your a bird watcher? Might leave it alone then but doubt it.

Definately report it and get a crime number.
Should it happen again do the same again and then if and when you catch the beggar you may be able to get some sort of response/action by the police

Report it, if they don't know its happening they can't do anything about it, don't expect miracles in that someone will be caught asap, but rural crime is massively under reported in my experience, hence there are so few rural policing policies, much to the frustration of the officers on the beat!

I agree. Report it! The time it takes is minimal, so even if nothing comes of it, you've lost nothing. The more you report things, the more likely it is the police will do something proactive.

It's nice having good quality high seats, but there's always someone weather they are a anti or not who takes great pleasure in smashing up someone else's property just because they can, I don't know what they are like and I will probably get one at the next game show I go too, is one of them portable high seats that you can fold down and carry around on your back , it's got to be the way forward:.)

Makes no difference how good you buy or make something, someone can and will tear it up if given the chance... Just nature to some folks and bad luck fow some when the stars line up and one of the freaks happen to pass your stand when nobody is looking. Report it for sure, but if you could publicize it and make a point of pointing out that things will be watched with cameras and people (maybe even offer up rewards for info leading to catching any vandals in the future or ones that have already done damage. May be a deterrant... Happens quite a bit around here where folks will saw the higher ladder steps partway thru and hunters will get almost up then fall thru....

I would report it. At least then if you have any problems in future you will be on record as being responsible and reporting it. It might work in your favour.

LRB,

You have a consenus among your respondents there and I agree with them also. If indeed you do decide to report it, please would you let us know what info and forms etc the constabulary request of you and how simple it is? I ask because I have tried to report something before (not stalking / farm related) and the process for reporting was such a burdensome one and the little interest they showed was so dissapointing that I'm ashamed to say I regretfully gave up in the end. I would be interested to know what the form is for something like this as I wouldn't be surprised if it happened where I stalk down here sooner or later.

Report it and get a crime reference number at minimum it's criminal damage. If the damage is not so noticeable for example straps cut, steps partly sawn through etc, then you could argue its criminal damage with intent to endanger life, a little more serious
Wingy

definatly report it, simply because sooner or later you have to say enoughs enough or they get there jollys screwing you about , also leave them a couple of little notes about , saying its been reported and now also being filmed, imho i think after that they will clear off and let there dog crap somewhere else, doug

How about a little laminated note on it at eye level saying that there has been damage done to property here in the past and as a result hidden cameras are being used. Whether you use a trail cam then is up to you, but you'll probably instil enough doubt to stop the buggers!

....as for forms to report crime to the police, there won't be any! If you look at most police web sites, you can do it online, or of course by 'phone. They'll ask for the information you want, then you should get a unique crime number (not much good except the insurance will want it if you make a claim). The police might want to come and take a written statement from you, but they'll likely only bother to do that if they catch someone.

Definitely report it,I had some nugget just cutting the straps so it would break while you were sat in it,so I fitted trail cams in and around the wood but also a sign to say cctv was in use because if you don't you can not use the pictures,which is a joke!
Luckily it's stopped now fingers crossed!!!
Nothing worse than heading to a seat early morning to find it smashed up!!!!

Back