I have a small problem and i am thinking about a subtle change. I have a large calibre rifle with moderator for hill reds and the occasional roe at home, nice small ase ultra mod, no problem there then.
I have .243 with a T8 mod which is my go to rifle for everyday roe and the odd fox. Its a stunning rifle which shoots so well but with a moderator it is so unbalanced and therefore not as nimble or enjoyable to whip out of the cabinet and head straight out stalking (no slip required).
I cannot be bothered to spend 350 squid on a new light weight mod but contemplated just taking it off and started to weigh up the impact/reasoning given my specific situation. So here goes, thoughts welcome.
1. Personal ear protection - i use plugs anyway when out and about.
2. Noise & neighbours - not a problem, i don't have any neighbours.
3. Accuracy/consistency? - don't think so?
4. Comfort for carrying, shooting standing etc - big positive if no mod.
5. Shooting multiple deer in one stalk, is a non suppressed crack going to make that impossible?
I think i will take off the mod and use the rifle for 6 months and see how i get on (i will report back my conclusions too!). I am pretty sure i am missing the main reasons why i should use a moderator but the unbalanced feel is doing my head in at the moment.
Are there other members out there who choose not to shoot with a moderator? Why?